Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Rehab of a model 41-285 on-off push button switch

The push button on-off switch so well known to the model 41's can be troublesome. Mine of course was no different on my 41-285, which was intermittent, and smoked after a few minutes of play. After reviewing earlier posts on this topic, I decided to try rehabing the switch first. I carefully drilled out both rivets, and cleaned out any metal shavings. Upon opening the switch, I found my intermittent problems were due to both wires working loose from their solder on the copper contacts! reinserting the contacts into the switch's housing, just keep enough solder on the back of the copper contact to hold, too much and the contacts will sit too high in the housing. Ever so gently, enlarge the existing rivet holes with the same drill bit, then slightly enlarge the mounting holes on the metal frame of where the switch was mounted. I had good luck with metal screws, (4x1/2) pan head phillips. The lower mounting hole where both wires enter, you can use the entire length of the screw, the hole nearest the spring assembly, you may have to back out until the push button engages and disengages with no resistance. You can also trim the end of the top screw and reinsert it until it fits flush, both methods seem to work equally well. So far the assembly has worked flawlessly, with no smoking and crisp response. I also used the opportunity to clean the contacts and lubricate them. We'll see how it holds up over the long term. Just thought another input on this problem may help someone. BOBC CINCINNATI, OHIO

Thanks for the detailed description. I'll try using self-tapping screws on the next one I work on. I should be getting a 41-255 any day now.

John Honeycutt