Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1939 Packard Bell 48E

An even worse fate claimed its 50 KW nighttime power. The owners of KSFN (San Francisco market) bought KGA to reduce its nighttime power to 15 KW in order to up the power of KSFN.
A similar sacrilege happened a few years back where Inner City bought heritage flamethrower that was once Westinghouse's 1190 WOWO. I grew up in Massachusetts listening to Ft Wayne's WOWO
every night. They ratcheted back WOWO to 9 KW at night to give their WLIB NYC a nighttime signal. The Midwest lost a wonderful reliable signal that served rural areas with few stations to add crappy night service on a sub bottom level signal in an area already served by 100 plus signals to add more foreign language to the 35+ that already do. Would be nice if people learned English these days ....fat chance of that....soon it will be press one for English
press two for Spanish
Press three for Hmong
Press four for Creole
press five to 99. for all tower of Babel languages

Actually there was the trio KING AM-FM-TV owned by the Bullitt sisters. Since the early 50's there was always a KING-FM.(classical)
Though the stations now have different owners there is still a KING-FM and a KING-TV channel 5. The FCC allows the use of call letters under different owners if there is an agreement. The group that bought 1090 in the spinoff likely did not want to spend the money
to work this out....big mistake, with the decline of AM they were really the ones who needed to keep the identity. Viewers watch NBC on channel 5 or channel 5 News, TV call letters are of little importance.
Another example of this sad phenomenon WJAR 920 once top tier
Providence station with an NBC affiliation and WJAR-TV NBC 10.
920 is now WHJJ almost non existent because it got lost in the shuffle after losing it identity. There are at least 100 more examples of this.

^^^^My heart is heavy with a great sadness. Icon_cry

But the dial is still cool. Even if there are only 2 stations on it that are still there.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

It is still very cool, because it was even cooler and better when the radio was manufactured and was first playing.

Paul

Tubetalk1