Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is this a 501X? Anyone ever seen one in the wild? Thoughts?

It could be one, does it have an automatic record changer under the lid or a single play phonograph? It should have a model 16 chassis inside.
Regards
Arran

Wow, lucky you! Icon_thumbup

If it has a manual play phonograph, it is a 500X. If it has an automatic record changer, it is a 501X.

Either way, GREAT find and very rare!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Arran, Ron, thanks, that is what I thought. Yes it has the automatic changer. I asked the seller for some more pictures since the ad was vague, below is what I got. It is too bad, hate to see a rare cabinet in this shape. Seller seems nice but talks like he wants serious money for it. I have not offered anything yet, still debating if I want to take this on.

Yikes! The very first picture seemed misleading.

I would just lay an offer on the table and he can either take it or not, I don't know what he is asking but I wouldn't pay anymore them maybe $50-100 for it because of that water damage. To have a professional cabinet maker repair that you are looking at at least a $500 bill or more since it is fairly severe, even that record compartment drawer is falling apart. It may be a somewhat rare model but it's only because of the record player, they made 1500 of the 501 and 500X, but 23,475 of the 16X, I don't think that having a record player and a slightly larger cabinet shouldn't justify that much of a premium.
Regards
Arran

I think I will let this go. I have enough to do and currently getting my 116PX done.

This is just toned and grain filled nothing else yet. Been damp so high gloss coats will be a bit.

I think you're making a mistake by letting the 501X go, but that's just my opinion. Both the 501X and the 116PX are pretty rare items, and it is amazing that you encountered both in your area.

The peeling veneer could be fixed with Titebond II and an old iron. Then, veneer patching of the remainder of the problem area could be done.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I'm with Ron on this one. When will you ever get the chance to score one of those again? If you can get it for the right price, just put it in the garage until you've got more time. Don't let it get away. Heck, I'm coming through Kansas in October, if you don't want it, I'll buy it from you.

BTW - Your 116px is beautiful Please post pics when it's finished. Icon_smile

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Well I did talk to the seller he is way out of my price range and stated he had someone coming by to buy the radio. As of right now the CL ad is deleted so I guess I missed out. I offered 100 and he wanted 3 times that much. Oh well you never know may run across another someday.

Will do on the 116PX. I owe Ron some good pictuers for his site and future book......hint hint Ron

$300? That's pretty steep. I wouldn't have paid that much either. Hopefully the new owner will show up here and we'll get to see more of it.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Well I could not resist buying the radio. I've only been on this phorum for about a year and have received great help and advice for various members. I had contacted the seller of this radio the day before I seen the 1st post about it on here. After reading Rons comment about it I decided to buy.
Right now its in basement, "man was it heavy" I will post some more info and pics soon. I hope to get some guidance on the restoration of this radio in the fucture from the members here.
Mike

Mike

Congrats, I am glad to see it was bought by someone who will appreciate it. i was concerned it would be parted out or worse yet "modernized" and resold.

I have the same automatic changer for my 116PX that I rebuilt. If I could ask a favor of you, I need to make a lever for the speed control for my phonograph. It is under the platter on the left side. If you could snap a picture and maybe dimensions I would appreciate it. The pickup is a magnetic style and is easy to rebuild as long as the coil is good. I have rebuilt several and would be happy to help in any way.

Look forward to seeing the the restoration on this one too.

Mike - that is great news! I could definitely use some photos for the new Gallery. (The 116PX also, Skip.) Icon_smile

We'll be glad to help you both get those monsters up and running again!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, I'll be glad to help you with pics. Give me a few days and if there is any certain angles or close ups vs. full just let me know.
Mike