Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-3 That old musty smell..

Hi Guys,

I have all of the components out of the cabinet because I wanted to do a thorough cleaning. I already used a nice coding of Howards Restor a Finish and some of the Wax they sell and the outside looks great. I've had the cabinets for a few months sitting in my apartment and really noticing some smelly old musty smells in the empty cabinet. The cabinet doesnt have a back door which i'd like to add, but before that I wanted to see if I could get that old smell out of the wood.....

Its got more of a musty smell, not so much moldy.

First I tried some nice Murphy's wood cleaner which helped a little but still noticeable, then I bought some baking soda and put it in bowls. It helps but still sort of lingers. I heard about Natural Magic odor removers, anyone recommend those? I think I want to throw something like htat in the cabinet, close the back door and let it sit there.

Can anyone give me some recommendations? I'm sure you've all had to deal with that old smell

thanks!
Jason

I don't think those odor removers really work. They just mask the odor with a more powerful scent. After all, the musty odor you smell has penetrated deep into the wood of the cabinet, and the only way to remove it is to let it diffuse out into the surrounding air.

About the only thing that works for me is long term ventilation of the cabinet. I usually take any musty items outside on dry breezy days and let them air out. This also works for books, magazines, etc.

Eventually the smell will subside, but don't expect miracles. I am talking months and maybe even years for it to disappear completely.

i've read that some people use a spray or paint shellac to seal it..would that take it out once and for all?

Agree with Mondial, get it outside on a dry day, leave out as long as you can several days in a row, it does diminish. It is very cool and dry up in Boston now, low dewpoints, light breeze, perfect for airing out the basement or a radio! I will bring sets I have in the basement up and park them on a table outside even though I have a dry basement. Keeps the musties away.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Try this: put as many charcoal briquets as you can in it and seal it up with garbage bag(s) for a month. Worked for me on an old AK set years ago.

I have a floor model that had a really noticeable tobacco smell when I got it, especially on a hot day. Now that I've had it for a year you can hardly notice it, even though I still haven't washed the greenish brown patina off of the chassis. I would try vacuuming out any dust from inside the cabinet and chassis, it should go away faster that way.
Regards
Arran

I did that once too, but lightly crushed the briquets to
expose more surface area to speed up absorption.

Chuck

Chuck,
Good suggestion. I forgot to add that I did that.
Art

Hey guys , That musty smell is a thing of beauty! That radio cabinet is from a by-gone era. When things we use in AMERICA were BUILT IN AMERICA! Fire up that old beauty and use it as it was ment to be...(dont forget to retore it first). That smell along with the smell of the tubes getting warm is a smell for the ages.

Well, agree with all, can brush on some chlorox and let dry a few days or more outdoors before shellac insides. Done it!.

"Hey guys , That musty smell is a thing of beauty! That radio cabinet is from a by-gone era. When things we use in AMERICA were BUILT IN AMERICA! Fire up that old beauty and use it as it was ment to be...(dont forget to retore it first). That smell along with the smell of the tubes getting warm is a smell for the ages. "
Yeah but a smell the wifey doesn't like!!

Well moth balls and very old good wool blankets from previous generations too. My old house still smells like smoke even though there are no smokers here anymore , and I gave it up more than 4 years ago. Probably a complete paint job with primer and rug removal would do it.

Tube sets do not stink all that much when recapped and cleaned up except for mold growth in the cabinet, or kitchen grease on the backs baking in the tube glow. Enjoy all!

Codefox's suggestion is very close to the way they would get rid of mold, etc from a house. Brush the killer on(Clorox), then after it is dry, coat it with something(Shellac). Sounds like a very good way to me.

I have also used the "bleach and sealer" method inside of the cabinet on musty smelling sets with great success. Allow enough time for the bleach to thoroughly evaporate, and then make sure the sealing product you apply is transparent with a flat or semi-gloss finish. This is best done in a relatively dry environment. It really works!

I recently had that issue with a Model 655X. Oddly, its original finish was excellent and the chassis had no signs of corrosion. The cabinet still smelled after two bleach treatments, but found that stink also permeated the grille cloth.

When that is the case, the sound board then must be given the bleach treatment on both sides. Affected cloth usually shreds upon touch, having been weakened by the organisms that took hold. Radio Daze had resumed sale of the "V" cloth, so replacement was not an issue. Otherwise, a generic replacement would have been in order.

Best of luck!

-O.B.

I have some Howard's Feed n Wax which says its for finished/unfinished surfaces, would that do the trick?