Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I bought a Philco 37-650 today..

Yes, if you leave the switch and jack in the circuit, you can run an MP3 player through it.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Quote:The cracking of the veneer on the radius is not a major issue. I've had the identical cracking/splitting on several Philco's over the decades and fixed them in just minutes! It's just a matter of using a 3-4" strip of fabric backed sandpaper, 220 to 400 grit works fine. Pulling the strip back and forth with the grain will quickly make that problem go away. Don't apply and extra pressure to the sandpaper. At this moment I'm looking at my Philco 37-670 that I got for a song since the cabinet had the same terrible splitting; in five minutes the splitting was gone. The resulting finish is smooth as glass with no evidence of splitting.

Just try it. You have nothing to loose.

Thanks Ron, the 37-650 is now on deck for repairs. (I've got to finish up the 46-1226 first). Having an MP3 jack will certainly make that radio a favorite around the house.

AI2V, the veneer is not only cracked, I think it's pulled away from underlying wood to some degree. I think I may need to wet it and glue it down prior to sanding. If you have any advice, I could use it! Thanks.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

You have been lucky. Those cracks are through the veneer. You can sand them smooth, but the cracks are still there. I have heard of people working glue into them, but the cracks are still there. Depending on moisture cycles and temperature they will stay nice for a year or two. Then you will be able to run your hand over the crack and feel it. At some point the crack will come through the finish -unless you are very lucky.

Mentioned because after doing a lot of work on the cabinet this can be disappointing.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I've never had much luck on permanently repairing veneer cracked across the grain over a curve like that, especially that long of a crack. Part of the reason it cracked is that the veneer is already under tension where it wraps around that curve and whatever was under it obviously absorbed some moisture, swelled up, and pushed the veneer past it's limits. Wood generally expands and contracts across the grain, not along the grain, so it could not have cracked because of shrinkage. What you can reasonably do about it is another story, it definatley is not the sort of thing for beginners to tackle, it usually involves taking the cabinet apart to a certain extent, removing the old veneer, and then replacing it. It may be easier to find an empty cabinet then to repair that veneer, the good news is that it was a fairly common style.
Regards
Arran

Here is an update on this project.. I have the cabinet 99% finished. I just need to add the decal and shoot some clear over it. The chassis is on my bench and I'm working through it slowly.
Which decal is the proper decal? I don't want to screw this up..

That's a pretty good set!

You often see mods like your switch on console sets. Since they were the family's "entertainment center," there were frequently things added to them to be able to hear a phonograph or later even a TV through the console radio.

Sometimes even antenna switches were added to increase reception for SW DXing.

Thanks TA... it's a great radio and I am very happy that I own it. I finally got the shadowmeter all dialed in and I love it. The radio just plays and sounds sweet. It has a permanent home in our family room. Since I finished it, I haven't even turned on my other sets. I ran a 30ft wire out on the deck and I was able to pick up some distant stations too. Great fun!

Crack? What crack? That's an amazing refinish job! I wish I still had that kind of patience. The last refinish job I did was an upright piano that I stripped, stained and polyed about 37 years ago.

Well thanks PT. Glad you like it. I am very happy with it. It plays like a champ. Here is a recent photo..

I hope your cat doesn't plan on using it for a scratching post.

If she lays one paw on that radio, she's in big trouble!... Icon_lol

Welcome Puh Pow
A great job on the 37-650 cabinet looks like you have a lot of talent. Ron is a great guy he has helped with a few osc. coils
welcome to the phourm.

Super deluxe......

Paul

Tubetalk1

The radio came out really nice. How did you get those cracks that were in the front out of the cabinet? As I said nice job! How does it play?

Thanks! It plays great. It has become my daily driver. I do need to get back inside it and fix the volume control. The rod that connects the knob to the volume control comes loose about once a week. I fish around until it catches, but it needs to be repaired correctly. The veneer wasn't nearly as bad as it looked. Once I stripped the cabinet, I could see that the cracks were very minor. They were paper thin, and the very extreme outside layer of veneer.. The underlying veneer was solid. I had to glue two small areas, about the size of a dime. Then I sanded it very lightly and the cracks vanished. I used a little timbermate on the two areas I glued, then sprayed it all with toner.

I can take some better photos of it, if you guys are interested in seeing it..