Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 95 wire resistor question

I'm at a bit of a loss with this one. The resistor still works (although most of the structure other than the wire is carbon by now) and I can't see where the problem is. If I checked the center tap wire to ground, I see 70 ohms. I also see 70 ohms between the beginning of the resistor and the center, as well as 140 (give or take a few) ohms to ground ...this seems correct. I checked the 100000 ohm resistors where E goes into the filament, and it read 100K as it should. So...it seems I have no shorts to ground and I can't figure out why the resistor heats up so badly.
On a seperate note, I see two large resistors...one is roughly 800 ohns and about 2 inches long, while the biggest is at least 4 inches in length (biggest wire would item by far) and measures 8000 ohms (give or take a few) resistance. Is this the large resistor you referred to (that should be 8xxx ohms?). I look forward to any input on this problem. Thanks for all of the help to date!
On a side note, I replaced the resistor in question with a few 10 watt resistors and they too heat up quickly. Since it looks like the voltage comes out of the nearby transformer, could it be the x-former that is bad (although I know they usually die and not allow higher voltage thru)? The dial light lights up normally, I'm just at a loss to figure out why the problem is there since there aren't any shorts on the E line. Is it something so obvious I should shock myself a few more times for good measure? Icon_rolleyes The caps should be OK as most were changed with modern equivalents and they still store up a pretty good charge, even after powered off for a spell.

**********ADDENDUM***********

It doesn't make any difference if "E" is connected or the 45s are pulled, the resistors still get hot quickly. A local tech suggested I check "C" to ground, but I'm not sure which line it is as there are several caps in the area and its hard to see what is what. A possible shorted transformer was also mentioned as a potential problem, along with a shorted cap. I'm still getting nowhere.

Jim

Messages In This Thread
Model 95 wire resistor question - by Guest - 11-11-2005, 04:47 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 11-11-2005, 08:55 PM
[No subject] - by Guest - 11-13-2005, 12:22 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 11-13-2005, 12:25 PM
[No subject] - by Guest - 11-15-2005, 12:40 PM
[No subject] - by Ron Ramirez - 11-17-2005, 11:08 AM