Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I finished my RCA 5T

I recently finished my RCA 5T. It isn't a Philco, but I really like it. I thought I would share this because, while I am a newbie, I don't want you guys to think I have problems with every radio I get. It was missing the dial cover, had a mismatched knob, bad grill cloth, needed a bit of veneer work, refinishing and I did a chassis overhaul.

Here are before and after pics... (btw-I'm keeping this one.. no matter what the Mrs says Icon_smile) It sure sounds great and I'm very proud of it.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Nice!

I like RCAs in general.
It's a good company and they knew their EE stuff.
No amateurs they were.

I have that same radio that i bought recently from a membero of ARF. Paid $50.00 for it and it's cabinet had already been restored. All that was needed when i received was new filter caps and resistors and a couple of light bullbs. It is very sensitive on AM and seems to pick up shortwave pretty well in the evenings. Definitely a keeper for me. I think you will also like yours as well.

Sincerely

Keith Jansen

It is a cool tombstone, Morzh is right on. RCA made some super sets, and a lot of the middle of the line was very good too. Even later on when everything started to get value engineered some of their stuff was pretty good.

Enjoy it, I have a thing for the lines of this set.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Thanks. It really sounds good and I've been listening to it for about 5 hours a day during the past week. There is an issue with one of the grid caps that I need to get around to fixing, but for now, it's ok.

VERY HAPPY you like the sound on yours. I picked up one of these a short time ago, and wondered about it's performance since it was only a 5 tuber. Glad to read the good reviews of it!

The first complete radio I ever owned was the similar RCA 5T1. That is the radio which I used to listen to WLS Musicradio, day or night, with a 100 foot longwire antenna when I was a young teenage Ron, about 100 years ago. You will enjoy your 5T. These are amazingly sensitive sets, when used with a good longwire. Especially considering they only have five tubes and no RF amp.

In fact, I hate to say it, but an RCA 5T or 5T1 will easily outperform a Philco 60.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Oh yes, the good ole WLS Music Radio, I also listened to that every day and night when i was a teenager in Indianapolis. They always played better music than any station in Indy. Of course that was about 1969 thru 1974 when i was there, Another good one we always listened to was WOWO out of Ft.Wayne.

Sincerely

Keith Jansen

Thanks for the info. It's good to know and kind of confirms my experience with the set. I haven't tried any dx'ing with it yet, but I will in the future. For now, the RCA has earned a spot in the living room.

Looks great, excellent job!!! I'm sure it will bring you years of enjoyment!

- Geoff

If you wanted a truly LAME radio experience, you should have been in the Salt Lake Valley in the 60's. They actually censored popular music! There were several examples where this happened, most notably Lou Christie tracks, like Rhapsody in the Rain. Not sure how they got ahold of them, but they actually had alternate versions they played with the lyrics "cleaned up". I would have never known this at the time if it weren't for Wolfman!

Very nice radio and you did a good job on the cabinet.
If one of those ever turns up here[Alberta[ I will grab it..
It is a nice radio

Hey guys I have a Tombstone 5U which is the same as the 5T but it has a phonograph under the lid on top.Very nice radio picks up everything across the dial. I am very happy with the radio but now that I think of it I should play her more often......Thats what happens when you have so many radios to choose from!

PhilcoJohn, I'd like to see some pictures of that.. can you post one or two?

Let me see what I can do about pictures...My daughter will have to do that for me...Believe it or not I am the only person I know that does not have a cell phone......And I DO NOT want one! I am not that tech savy either...