Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-190 chipped veneer

Now that my 40-190 is playing well, it is time to turn to cosmetic issues. Although the case is overall good shape, there are some missing chips of veneer (see photos). These, and some scratches on top, were caused by my cats jumping on it. So: is repairing this kind of damage something I can do myself, or would it be best to find a professional furniture restorer? If it is a do-it-yourself project, how do I get started? Thanks for any help - Roy

Attached Files Image(s)

It's hard to tell from the photos just how bad the damage is. You can repair it yourself. There are several videos on youtube about veneer repair. If it's just the lacquer that's chipped off, you can refinish that spot pretty easily. If the veneer is chipped away, you need to replace it. I've had good luck using small pieces of salvaged veneer cut to fit the missing places, then glued into place. After that, you can use toner and some clear lacquer to try match everything up. Keep in mind that a repair is always visible, no matter how well it is done. The scratches on top can easily be fixed by using some finish restorer.

If you don't have any extra veneer to work with, send me a PM with your address. I've got a trashed Philco console with peeling veneer. I'll send some your way.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Small chips came off and I glued them back, but there are tiny slivers still missing. I will try to take a better picture with a real camera toniht, rather than my phone, so you can see what the veneer looks likes.
What finish restorer do you recommend?
I don't have any extra veneer, so I appreciated your offer. Will send you a PM with the address. Many thanks!

I like Howard's finish restorer. You can get it at most antique malls. It comes in different colors. Try to pick one that matches your radio. If you can't find Howards, then Watco makes a decent restorer too and Lowe's sells it. Try to get Howards though. Use it with a rag first, and if that doesn't work, use it with some #0000 steel wool. Go easy. This stuff sort of melts your current finish, blends in with it and covers up defects.

Is there a Woodcraft store near you?

I'm a new guy here, but +1 on the recommendation for Howard Restore-A-Finish. Works quickly and easily, but stinks up the place - be sure to use it outside! I wiped it on with a soft cloth and then just let it dry.

[Image: http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/esantan...arison.jpg]

To repair that you will need to figure out what species of veneer it is. Contrary to what some may think they did use more then walnut, and they used more then one species and cut of walnut to get the look they wanted. The species of veneer used on that band was some form of mahogany I think, but it's hard to know for sure with the original finish still on it, it may also be Asia wood or Australian (Queensland) walnut, one problem you may have with patching it is that it was cut on the diagonal and book matched with the other side. The last one is a tropical tree and isn't really a walnut species at all. The vertical grained veneer next to that section is zebrano or zebra wood, it has alternating dark and light bands.
Regards
Arran

Here is a better picture of the damage. it is small and I don't want to make it worse with an amateurish repair. - Roy

Attached Files Image(s)

I would use some artrist's oils (often you can scrounge a set of them for little or nothing) to fill the chipped areas with a very fine artist's bruch or "spotting" bruch from the old days, then a few coats of shellac as needed to overfill, and a very gentle buffing and paste wax.

Shellac sticks and touchup crayons were often used for delivery screwups too, but not so great long term.

I don't think you can make it worse. It all depends on what you can live with. No matter what you do, the repair will be somewhat visible. I sent some veneer, but it may be darker than you need. I like codefox's idea. The method I have used is to take a piece of paper and a pencil and make an etching, then cut veneer to fit. Fill in the area as best as I can with some veneer, trying to match the missing places. Glue it in. If it's not level, I lightly sand the new veneer. Then I smear some Timber Mate colored wood filler over it and wipe off the excess. After that, I spray some toner or clear lacquer over the spot.

Timber Mate is a product now being carried by Woodcraft stores. It's imported from Australia and guys who lay wood floors use a lot of it. It's water soluble, comes in a bunch of different colors and works better than any wood filler I've ever used. You can thin it with water, and if you mess up, a wet rag will allow you to start over.

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, call a pro.

EricS: what wood color of the Restore-A-Finish did you use? Walnut looks closest to me.

I used cherry and it was just a "pinch" on the dark side. Not by much, but in bright light, the repaired spots are just a tiny bit darker than the surrounding areas. I originally picked up some cherry and some walnut, figuring I'd start with the lighter cherry and see how how well it matched. If it was too light, I thought I'd mix it with walnut and see what it looked like then. If still too light, I'd just use straight walnut.

I think this will work well for you after you get you veneer neatly patched.

Great. I will pick up the cherry Restore-a-Finish this weekend and give it a try. I will order some walnut Timbermate. Will post before and after photos. Thanks all - again, this is a great Phorum!

It looks like quarter saw French walnut veneer to me, but cut on the diagonal, you should be able to find a chunk of the same type of veneer that closely matches the grain and colour, it won't be exact but probably good enough. I think you could probably cut a straight sided patch with the sides parallel to the grain.
Regards
Arran

Promised update, with photos to follow soon. The cherry Restore-a-Finish did a great job hiding the numerous scratches. I patched in as best as I could with the pieces of veneer "PuhPow" kindly sent me. I then filled in the gaps with walnut TimberMate and blended it all with the Howard's. Much improved! You can still see the damage if you look closely, but it is much less obvious. The radio now sits proudly in my living room; it is a beautiful piece!

Glad to hear it worked out.