Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Philco 17 "Mutt" Lives!

Here it is, a true Philco produced mutt of a console radio. The 1939 Philco 17!

No matter where you go, there you are.

That chassis is a lot smaller than I expected. Should be a cinch to go through that one! Icon_thumbup That's not the original speaker, is it? Also, does it look like that grille cloth will clean up ok? I like the curved ribs a lot! Interesting radio!

Yup, looks just like a 38-17F console, with the addition of those pushbuttons. The 38-17F used an identical-looking speaker - probably the very same speaker type.

Jayce, now I need to see some detailed under-chassis photos showing where those wires running to the pushbutton assembly connect inside the chassis. Some detailed photos of the pushbutton assembly itself would also help. I'm hoping that with good photos, I might be able to draw a schematic for this mutt. Feel free to send them to me direct - I'll PM you with my direct email address.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That looks like a very fun radio to restore. It will sure be a sharp looker when you get it finished!

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Hi All;
Ron, when I look under Nostalgiaair, I don't see anything for a 38-17 anything, nor a 37-17.. And when looking under a Philco 17, I can't tell from the Schematic, whether it had push buttons.. So, this may truely be a "Mystery Set" or Mutt.. Only You can tell us for sure..
THANK YOU marty

I already stated in another thread, that the "17" Jayce now owns is an undocumented "mutt."

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=7393

And to make matters worse, Philco never issued a Service Bulletin for the 38-17. You had to use the Bulletin for the very similar 38-15.

Also, do not confuse this with the 1933-34 Philco model 17...an 11-tube chassis that was made in cathedral, console and chairside versions.

Not to mention the Canadian Philco 17 from 1940, which looks like a USA Philco 40-155...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi All;
Sorry, Ron, I saw that thread, but it just didn't click, But, I am Glad that you cleared things up with the added clearification about all that it didn't include.. It sound like there are more exceptions to the rules than rules that apply..
It will be interesting to see a full Schematic for it..
So, Thank You..
THANK YOU Marty

Wow... I guess I did find an odd-ball. I'll have to drag it back out and start shooting pictures!

Hey Jayce
I've got it's brother over here a 38-17F http://www.flickr.com/photos/53710524@N06/8430207003/
Think it's the same set sans the p/b's
Terry

It is, Terry.

Here is what I have found so far:

I feel this "mutt" used the 39-85 pushbutton assembly. It definitely used the same bezel as the 39-85 pushbutton assembly. Only where the '85 had two of those mica caps insulated only with wax mounted in the pushbutton assembly, Jayce's radio has the mica caps inside the radio chassis, near the band switch. I haven't gone this far yet, but the mutt "17" may even use the 39-85 band switch. Jayce told me his "17" has a three position band switch, which makes sense - pushbutton, AM, and SW.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Interesting!! I think I might have posted that my set been refinished with poly and a very bad job!!! It's over at the shop (where I work when I'm not doing home service) waiting for me to get some free time. The cabinet is apart which makes it pretty wobbly to strip. Front panel and speaker board are out. Was able to get the phrount panel looking good with out damaging the foto phinish Have gotten about 70 percent of the poly off but it is tough stuff!!!
Terry

Just when you think that you have seen them all, another "Phranken" emerges.

I noted that Ron and others refer to this set as a "Mutt.."

Is "Mutt" now the official name for "Phrankens?"

Hey, Tom - welcome back! Icon_thumbup Icon_wave

Well, Jayce's "17" is a Phactory-Phranken. I don't know why, but we all just started calling it a "mutt" and it sort of stuck. But what Jayce has is a rare oddball. It appears that Philco cobbled together a few of these during the 1939 season in order to get rid of remaining 38-17F stock. Perhaps they added the pushbuttons to make it more attractive to potential buyers, or to make it different from the factory 38-17F sets? We won't know because all of the men involved in that decision-making process are gone now.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

That's one of the things that I love about Philco. You just never know what you will see next.

It will be interesting to see how this set performs compared to my 38-12. Since I have it apart already, I am moving it to the head of the electronic restoration cue. Icon_smile