Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Chairside model A-801

I recently picked up a model A-801 chairside radio with no appreciable cosmetic damage but for 3 missing metal pushbutton caps, everything is still functional however. The power cord looks original but cloth covered, was this the case? Ron or Chuck or anyone who owns this model, what other facts, or characteristics about this radio exist? Is the usual recap/alighnment proceedure strait forward? I've got some basic schematics from nostalgia air, so any problems or tips would be appreciated. Does anyone know where I coud find the chrome trimmed push button caps (3) to be exact, they appear to be unique to this model. Thanks, BOBC, Cincinnati Ohio

Hi Bob

Please look here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1942b.htm#c

Your set uses a Philco-Chrysler C-1908 car radio, converted to run on 110 volts AC. Production of the 1942 automobiles had halted due to the war effort; thus, no new 1942 Chryslers to install these radios into! So Philco converted them to the chairsides such as you now own, to use up inventory.

The power cord is a replacement. Philco began using rubber-insulated AC cords in mid-1936, when the then new 1937 models were introduced.

Other than the power supply conversion, with a power transformer mounted separate from the chassis, the recap/alignment is pretty straightforward.

As for your pushbutton caps, either a junk A-801 or a junk C-1908 will be your only sources for spare parts, as far as I know.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Re: ChairSide Radio...

Are the button caps round or square? If square, and about three-eights across, it might be possible to find a Chrysler product radio that has been removed so as to replace it with a 'modern' stereo set. Good place to start would be an automotive 'flea' market. Watch out, though... There were also Motorolas built for Chrysler. They were generally the lesser sets, with only 5 pushbuttons, and mechanical at that. Those button caps will not fit the Philco. Those Philco car radios were really nice sets. Sensitive, selective and GREAT sound.

Randy.......

Welcome to the forum Randal!! I have been posting here awhile and ironic as it is, my 1st name is Randal also, even spelled the same way!! Thats way cool!! Glad you joined the forum!! Since I have been signing my posts as "Randal", I will now use my "Texasrocker" sign-on forum name as my signature, so we dont get confused between our separate posts!! WELCOME ABOARD Randal!!! It is not often I meet another person with 1st name Randal spelled with 1 "L" !! Welcome aboard, and now we have 2 "Randys" on here!! Thats WAY cool!!! Sincerely, Texasrocker!!! Icon_surprised