Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nice Addison I recapped

I have a friend that wanted me to recap a floor model Westinghouse for him and while I was there he brings this up from the basement and wondered if I could do it also.
It is an Addison R5A-1
I had never seem one in person but what nice radio.. On this one I restuffed the electrolytic and recapped the rest of it. I used brasso on the cabinet and it came out very nice.
Originally his brother was going to put it in garage sale for $5.00, but he knew it was worth quite a bit more so he kept it
Just thought I would share it.. NO he wont sell it to me.

[Image: http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm405...6d161e.jpg]

[Image: http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm405...17426b.jpg]

[Image: http://i318.photobucket.com/albums/mm405...d409d5.jpg]

What a beautifully preserved relic! That's quite a prize! Icon_thumbup

High style, looks real sharp. How many tubes, ac/dc, how did it sound?

Paul

Tubetalk1

The Addison model is R5A5 but the schematics.[Pacific tv] are
listed as B2A and B2B. it has five tubes 12SA7,,12SK7,,12SQ7 35Z5 and 50L6. Dan in Calgary

This is one pretty radio!

Catalin or simple bakelite? If it catalin, oh would this brother of your friend bite his own elbows when he would learn of the price of them in the current market. $5...Ha!!!! Even if it is not catalin, the looks of it plus if it works would bring in a nice amount.

I am not sure how to tell the difference between bakelite and catalin. I have several bakelite radios and they come up with a nce shine if I use brasso on them so that is what I did with this one.
If you know the difference please let me know,,

Not 100% sure but Catalin comes in multiple brighter colors than bakelite does.

Catalin and Bakelite are both based on the same Phenol-Formaldehyde resin and chemical process. The difference is that Bakelite contains a large amount of filler material like wood flour, (fine sawdust), carbon black, or asbestos, while Catalin is just pure resin with added coloring. Thats why Bakelite is opaque while Catalin is translucent.

A lot of the colored items referred to as "Bakelite" like 1930's jewelry, tableware handles, etc. are actually made of Catalin.

Many of these Addisons are actually made out of Plascon not Catalin, it's also coloured but it isn't semi translucent like Catalin is, you can tell by shining a light through the back of it. Some of the later models have brown Bakelite cabinets, but there were also ones with wooden cabinets as well. Bakelite is similar chemically except that the resin is ground into a powder and stamped into form in steel molds under high pressure and heat. With Catalin the mixture is cast in liquid form by pouring into a mold like a candle. I have one of these with a broken cabinet, but it's a Plascon one.
Regards
Arran

Snazzy set whatever it is.

Very nice, you might offer him more than $5 and see if he bites.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I love the color combination!!!This model Addison is on my "would love to have" listIcon_mrgreen! Just can't make myself spend the money they seem to go for though. I'm watching a Canadian one on Ebay right now, but it has cabinet issues.
Kevin

Pretty radio love the color combo. Would love to hear how she sings.

I just posted some questions about these radio's and the color combination of this example us my favorite.

Ian M. Gordon
CT Audio Society