Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 40-145 Cabinet Repair

Here is the victim. A Philco 40-145 I picked up at a flea market. The major problem was the wooden surround on the dial. Most of the top was missing. There were also issues with the veneer. Pieces were missing from the top right above the dial, and on both sides. The bottom right was a pretty big chunk that was gone. Also, above each push button, the veneer was gone.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

After stripping the cabinet, I started off by gluing a piece of 1/4" x 1/4" inch wood stock onto the dial face. It was fairly soft wood, and the photo shows I have already sanded it into the rough shape needed.

Veneer scraps were cut and glued into the missing areas. I also did the places above each push button and the face of the radio. After the glue dried, 400 grit sandpaper was used to even them up with the surface of the radio.

Next up, wood filler. I really like this product called Timber Mate. It is imported from Australia. The guys who refinish floors use it. You can get it at Woodcraft stores. It is the only wood filler I've found that is invisible once finished. It's water based, so it cleans up easy and dries fast. It's ready to sand 20 minutes after you put it on. I smeared it over all the veneer I'd added, then sanded with 400 grit. The idea is only to fill the cracks around the veneer pieces, and the wood that I'd added. As you can see, I'd also stained the 1/4" wood strip. This was only so I could sand the filler and know when I was getting into the new wood. More stain would have to come after final sanding.

After the filler dried, I sanded it smooth with more 400 grit. I did not photograph this step.

Ready for toner and clear...

All finished and singing a 40's tune! Please ignore the light area on the bottom photo - my camera does that. I assure you, the finish looks fine in real life.

Is it perfect? Nope. But it's good enough for government work. I wish I had used a lighter colored stain on the new wood, but it is what it is. Next time, I'll know better.

You can see how well Timber Mate works. The repairs on the veneer are virtually invisible. I am very pleased with the veneer repairs. As for the wood around the dial? It's the best I could do and I think it came out well. It shows that almost any radio can be fixed.

Very nice work and results! Thanks for sharing the process - it's a great way to learn. You've got quite a little beauty there!

So how long was the overall process, you've made it look like it just a few hours...

Thanks! Umm.. I bought the radio about 10 days ago.. maybe two weeks. The first photo was taken then. The radio sat around for a few days, then I did the chassis first.. that took a couple of days. Started working on the cabinet three days ago.. I stripped it on Monday, glued the wood to the dial on Tues, glued the veneer on yesterday and did the rest today. I started working on it at 8am today (sanding the veneer, I had already shaped the wood piece), and I finished up right before I posted this thread. It was pretty quick. It's a small radio and it doesn't get a piano finish.. so no grain filler or any polishing needed.

Icon_thumbup Excellent work! I have one of these myself. It's a nice little set.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Just noticed... yours, like mine, is missing the brass station call letter enclosure under the pushbuttons. I suspect previous owners nabbed them and sold 'em for brass scrap!

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Great job looks fantastic

Very nice, indeed!!! Icon_clap

Thanks guys. I've got a small radio that needs to be stripped and refinished. No woodwork needed. If you'd like, I can post a step-by-step thread with photos. It would be sort of geared towards the first time refinisher. I plan to start on it today. Let me know if you think it's something you'd like to see.

Absolutely!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ok, done deal. I've got some work to do. I'll get started on the thread when I get back home this afternoon.

Very nice job!! Thanks for posting your progress, always helpful for those of us with little experience. Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_thumbup