Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Knob glued to shaft

Icon_sad has anyone faced a knob that has been glued to the shaft of a switch??
Any ideas on getting it off? I'm almost at the point of trying to cut the shaft and then try to find a new switch an knob. With the chassis loose I can get a small space between the knob and the cabinet but that's my last resort.

If it is not a hard knob to find, I would break the knob off and save the switch shaft.
What model radio is it?

Heat it up. Try a blow dryer or heat gun first. If that fails, use a soldering iron to heat up the shaft.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Good ideas thanks! It's a Montgomery Wards Airline with a 74WG-2504 chassis. I just picked it up on a whim and don't know much yet on availability of knobs. Probably can find something that will work or better yet a set of 4 that will match. Thanks for the thoughts so far anyone else have an idea?

I know where you can get knobs. I buy them from the same guy all the time. gokmike@gmail.com .. send him a pic of the knobs you need. He'll have them. His name is Mike.

The chances are that the shaft is rusty, try squirting some WD-40 onto the shaft, let it sit for awhile, then wrap a rag or a string around the back of the knob so you get a better grip on the knob whn you pull.
Regards
Arran

Thanks Arran, will give that a try too!

If it isn't glued, the string trick works great.

Looks like glue residue around the shaft but I won't get back to it until tomorrow.

Icon_thumbup
Thanks guys, a little WD40 and warming the shaft did the trick. There was a bit of glue and some aluminum foil. The split shaft had apparently been damaged in the past and the split was pressed closed thus the funky repair. I'll post a pic when back on the computer.

Here's a pic of the damaged band switch shaft.  I've cleaned off the glue residue and aluminum foil that was wrapped around it.  You can see why the knob was loose and thus all the extra effort to snug it up; the shaft prongs have been squeezed together somehow.  I'll try to tease them apart hoping not to break it.  The knob is still in decent shape though I'm not sure how well its going to fit as there is glue residue inside the knob as well.  Am on the hunt for a replacement just in case. In any event...thanks again for the assist on this. As you can see in the pic...the chassis is fresh out of the cabinet and the cobwebs are still on it Icon_biggrin

[Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnmr9ssydh0jey....jpg?raw=1]

Maybe a new switch is in order?
Mark Oppat would have one for that.
Good luck with your project.

Acetone is good for dissolving glue - though I'm not sure how well your knob will stand up to this treatment...

Thanks Eric, I think I've dug out enough to make it all work but will keep that in mind and also test it on the back side of the knob first.