Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Goes Dead, Philco 45

The 41 should be OK. The voltage you are listing are within the specs of the tube. Can swap the 85 for a 75. The 85 has a bit more gain.
Terry

Marty,

Reflow all the solder in the pins of your 41. This can take some patience, as it is sometimes hard to get the old solder to flow. Once it's liquid, add a bit of new solder into the tip of the pin. I reiterate: this does not sound filament related. If it were, the radio sound would drop over a few seconds once the filament opened. This is going out all at once. Since it does not go out with the 42 tube in place, it speaks to the 41 tube. Given this, either the tube is defective internally, or there is a cold solder joint inside one of the pins, where the wires from the envelope connect to the base. If reflowing this solder doesn't help, just toss that 41 and get yourself another one.

Hi All;
Thank You Brenda Ann.. Brenda Ann You have the 41 and the 42 numbers reversed, But, I understand what you are stating.. I will try and Reflow the Pins on the 42 Tube..
Also, it works on the Shortwave Band as well..
It had run now for over an Hour..
THANK YOU Marty

Glad to hear that you seem to have found the problem. Icon_smile

Hi All;
Brenda Ann, No it was Everyone on the Phorum and me who got it working.. THANK YOU to Everyone..
After some cleaning up, it will be back to the Philco 34..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
Its still working..
I found that I have had to lower the input voltage from 110 on the Variac to 100 on the Variac, so that the 41 Tube does not have a slight Purple glow at the top of the Tube..
THANK YOU Marty

Bad Marty, not a good sign. Get a 42.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

The purple glow isn't any thing to get excited about. Just some electrons hitting the glass on the inside. Now if the plate or screen grid are glowing red now you have a problem!!
Terry

Hi All;
The purple glow was a small ring arround the top of the tube and Nothing was glowing red.. So for now I think I am OK..
THANK YOU Marty

Eventually, you really do want to get the proper 42 tube. Although similar to the 42, the 41 has lower power and current capability, and different bias requirements.

Hi All;
I plan on getting another tube, baring that I can and the Creek don't rise.. Along with some spares for this radio.. Sometime next week..
THANK YOU marty

If your are thinking about getting a few spares I say the first tubes to go is the rectifier then the audio output,mixer, and then 1st audio, IF amp.
Terry