Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Refinishing a Radio

OK, I see that I did now. As for mixing wood filler and grain filler - this is just a matter of me being more clear about what I did. There were some dings that I filled with wood filler. Dried and sanded. Then I smeared grain filler over the entire thing. I let it set up a little and then scraped. I did not rub with cloth after another few minutes - this is where I went wrong.

So, now that I already have toner on it, is there any problem if I smear on some more grain filler, scrape, rub and then hit it again with a light coat of toner?

Nope. No problem at all. You can grain fill right up to the final coat of clear if you want. The only warning I have is this - once you have a dry coat of lacquer on the wood, any additional toner will get runs a lot easier. So be careful and go easy.

Grain filler -
1. Smear it on, press into grain.. wait ten minutes
2. Gently scrape off excess... wait twenty minutes
3. Rub with burlap.

Seems complicated as heck the first time you do it, but it's easy.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Good advice on runs - thank you! I'm working on a relatively small and flat surface, so I should be able to control runs. I know the drill: go back and forth, start spraying before you get to the wood, keep the can moving, keep spraying beyond the edge of the wood, keep 12 inches away ...

..and you will still get runs! I hate it. Sometimes it just happens. There is no way to prevent it. As I said in the other thread, before you do a nice radio, get some Mohawk Blender Flow Out. It's like a spray can of lacquer thinner. It increases drying time and thins the lacquer. It is insurance in a can!

So, say you get a run.. grab the Blender Flow Out and spritz the run. The glob of lacquer magically spreads out into the surrounding lacquer and the run vanishes. If you use too much, the toner gets too thin and you have a "bald spot", so be careful. Another scenario - You spray your final coat of clear and a dog hair floats onto the wet lacquer!... ARRRggghh!!.. No problem - Pick the hair out with some tweezers! Now you have two little ugly marks in your finish. Spritz it with Blender Flow out and watch as the lacquer oozes back over the marks and they vanish. It's good stuff! Very handy! It saved me from having to re-strip a radio today.

Just want to add something here...
As I said in another thread, I am no expert and I don't want to appear as if I am. I just want to encourage everyone to try their hand at repairing and refinishing cabinets. There are a lot of great techniques and I am only showing you how I do it. That doesn't mean other ways are wrong or that my ways are right.. I am learning more each time I pick up a radio....

I've met a few collectors who do a great job repairing a chassis, but never touch a cabinet. They've got a roomful of radios that play great and look kinda beat up. That's a shame..... Give it a shot.. If a guy who calls himself Puhpow can do it, so can you!

Meanwhile, here is a little eyecandy.. it's a Majestic 360 that I finished up yesterday

Ooooo-La-La! Very nice! You certainly seem to have a ready supply of radios! Here in the middle of PA, I think the population is too sparse to have that many radios waiting to be found at flea markets... There are a few, but they have been gathered by the "scavenger/vendors" and priced too high in my opinion.

EricS, go to the Kutztown, PA meet sometime...more radios in one place than you'll ever see anywhere else...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron,

I just learned about this a little while ago. Kutztown isn't too far away, I'll have to keep my eye on their calendar of events.

Eric

My wife is into antiques, so finding radios fits with that. Flea markets aren't really a source for me. Antique shows, antique malls, auctions, estate sales, craigslist, ebay, local radio collectors (every collector has something for sale)...in that order. Plus, she knows a lot of other dealers.. once word gets out, radios come to you instead of the other way around. I've probably got 30 radios still waiting to be worked on. I only keep about 6 for myself. Plus, like Ron said.. you are close to Kutztown, which is radio heaven. Print up some cards and give one to every antique dealer you meet... pretty soon, you'll be turning radios down.