Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Making your own replacement plastic dialcovers

I have been experimenting making my own replacement plastic dial-covers for my vintage radios for several yrs now. This is not "rocket-science" by any means. I got involved a couple yrs ago by finding out what type "clear plastics", and proper thickness melt around forms when placed in ordinary kitchen ovens with heat settings on "low" on the "broil" oven control!! Beit, that my full time real-job in life is tinting vehicles for over 25 yrs professionally, using a heat gun to (heat-shape) and do 1 pc rear glasses on vehicles stirred my interest about making my own replacement dial-covers for my vintage radio hobby. I CAN bend plastic (even thinner than radio dial types (PETG type plastic) to polyester-type window films, thin 1-2 mils thick , and have gained mucho knowledge of "plastic bending" since 1978. My new replacement vintage radio plastic dial-covers look as "smooth" as originals, and fit perfectly by carefully cutting the "traced" orig print from the cabinets to a piece of regular "corrugated cardboard box" in the thickness desired for the "window protrusion" desired. Cut your traced cardboard pattern away from its "larger" pc of cardboard oversize "blank". Trim the outer piece that forms your "staples-area" inside the cabinet 1/16 of one inch larger than your vintage radio window. Cover your exact replacement dial-window repro with "smooth cardboard) such as shoebox type ( non corrugated type) flat type that will be your end result for clarity in the plastic once melted. Set your oven broiler on "low", use .025 PETG type clear plastic, to heat shape your new dial cover ( with blue seran wrap shipping protective masking removed) from both sides of the PETG type clear plastic. I purchased my PETG type clear plastics from a company called Mold Depot on eBay, and after a few "trial & error runs", I can make perfect repro replacement clear plastic dial-covers for my personal vintage radio collection! In the past, I ordered them specially made. Using the "cardboard method" with practice, saves lots-o-time cutting patterns on a bandsaw from wood indeed!! All you need is a "keen eye", and dont worry, your cardboard "patterns" arent going to catch-fire in your oven!! This process goes very FAST!! Once the plastic melts over your prepared dial cover, remove it fast, and apply your "outside precut" form around it a hold down till the plastic fully forms.Custom Cut Wood patterns is not needed!! Just abit of practice will get you GREAT results melting PETG, and making your own replacement dial-covers for the old "staple in" wood cabinets. I have had good success with the "small-rivet" escutcheons as well. Just takes practice, and patience, using the proper-thickness of PETG for your project. Randal