Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles

Geoff,

On my model 630 (which I have been posting about in a recent thread), there is a similar area of veneer sanded through. It is perhaps a bit smaller than yours, but in a similar location on the right side of the cabinet, just above the shoulder. I think it was an issue at the factory where the front trim didn't exactly match the bent wood of the sides. The veneer is so thin, there's not much room for error. On my cabinet, the wood below the groove at the bottom of the front panel is pretty nearly the same color as above the groove. I think you will have no trouble removing the grain filler from the groove, but I would start with a toothpick or similar, since a screwdriver blade might damage the wood. The crack between the front trim and the top and sides I believe was originally filled. Most of the filler remains on my cabinet. It could have just fallen out or the separation might have increased with wood shrinkage, etc. I also have a slight dip on the top of my cabinet, I think less than on yours. Visually, I think a smooth dip would be better than bumpiness, so I'd be careful trying to fix it, as you don't want to end up with a series of small dips and rises. I plan on doing some hand rubbing with Restore-a-Shine (similar to rubbing with rottenstone and oil) and then waxing, so I won't have a truly mirror finish, and that will help mask imperfections such as the dip and other problems. I have seen reference to these cabinets being "hand rubbed" and also statements that the factory never would have gone to this expense. It could be that if Philco claimed a "hand-rubbed finish" they meant a finish that looks hand-rubbed, not one that was necessarily produced by hand rubbing. However, the front panel of my cabinet, which I believe has the original finish with no overcoats on it, looks hand rubbed to me and not just a raw lacquer finish. I look forward to seeing your progress, and I'll continue to post pictures on my original thread as I add more coats of tung oil.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles - by Jeremy - 09-17-2013, 10:02 PM