Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles

My plan is to use Mohawk dye based toner on the front panel (Medium Walnut, #M100-0207) and Mohawk pigment based toner on the sides, top, and front columns (Extra Dark Walnut, #M101-0209). The dye based toner is clear and will allow the wood to show through. The pigment based toner is opaque and will not allow the wood to show through. Since all of the repairs with the wood filler will be covered by the pigment based toner I believe they will not show through (or at least that's what I'm hoping).

UPS shows that the DAP wood filler will arrive today so I will begin applying it tonight. I'll post some photos when I'm done.

I'll sand down the spots where I added filler later this week and then apply grain filler when that shipment arrives (I ordered some Behlen Pore-O-Pac grain filler). I ordered some sanding sealer that will be here shortly and will apply that after the grain filler sets up.

Now I need to order the tone finishes I mentioned above along with a clear coat for the final finish. I've read that the clear gloss finish dries harder than satin so I'll be using gloss. Once it hardens I plan on rubbing out the finish with pumice to knock the gloss down.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles - by Geoff - 09-18-2013, 01:33 PM