Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles

Thanks for the information Ron. I'll get the DCL-PH8 decal set.

I tried salvaging the label on the inside that lists the model number on it. You can see it in one of the pictures above. My plan was to try and gently lift the sections that were not adhering and get some glue underneath it. Unfortunately, the label was so brittle that those pieces just broke off. So instead I just removed the flaking pieces and left the rest. What remains still lists the model number at least. I then proceeded to stain the inside of the cabinet with MinWax Ebony stain. I did this to try and make what was there look better and the MinWax label states that it seals the wood. It may not penetrate the existing finish that is there but I just wanted to freshen it up a bit. I’ll take some photos tonight and post them.

I have a day off on Friday and will probably fill the grain on the sides and top without a coat of sanding sealer first and see how it looks. The main reason I was thinking of using sanding sealer before applying the grain filler was mainly with the front face. I've read differing opinions about grain filler staining the wood. Some say if you seal it with sanding sealer first it will not stain the wood (or at least not as much as without it). I wanted to try and keep the front face as light as I could. I'll see how the top and sides go without sanding sealer. If it does not stain the wood too much then I won't use sanding sealer on the front.

I know on some radios I've owned it looks like the dark toning on trim pieces was done after the entire cabinet was sprayed brown. I think this because I've seen areas where the dark toning is flaking off and it is brown underneath just like the non-toned areas. I don't think that's the case with the 640. After looking at the way the glue residue is on the inside it looks like they made the cabinet, without the front piece, and then toned the entire piece dark (inside and out). I noticed the inside and bottom appears to be the same color as the top and sides, just not polished out. The front piece looks like it was done separately and then glued in after. I think this because the glue residue on the inside that holds the front piece in place sits on top of the finish inside.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles - by Geoff - 10-02-2013, 12:31 PM