Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Of course, the top and sides will be getting toned very dark (I assume Extra Dark Walnut Ultra Classic?), so if the wood gets stained in these areas from the grain filler, it really does not matter. But you don't want your front panel too dark, this is true.

Yes, I'll be using Mohawk Extra Dark Walnut #M101-0209. I'll skip the sanding sealer on the sides and top just for my own edification. If it stains then the extra dark walnut will cover it. I'll be using Mohawk Medium Walnut #M100-0207 for the front.

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Hmmm...your assumption about the front panel possibly having been glued in after both it and the rest of the cabinet were toned makes sense; it would seem that it would be quicker that way in production, rather than taking the time to mask off the cabinet to achieve two different colors.

Yeh, again I assume this since the glue that holds it in place is sitting on top of the black finish on the inside of the cabinet and it does not appear to have been sprayed indicating it was done after toning the inside.

For the decal I was thinking about using Micro Set prior to applying it. Here is a video showing how it is used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr5R9VCN...mZ&index=1

I've seen examples where the decal can stand proud after application and I'm hoping to avoid that and get it nice and flat. Anyone have any experience with this product?

- Geoff

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles - by Geoff - 10-02-2013, 01:37 PM