Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles

Here it is after the tape has been removed:

[Image: http://antiqueradios.com/gallery/main.ph...alNumber=2]

The front surface is a little rough after spraying. My next step will be to light rub the front with #0000 steel wool to smooth it out a bit. I will then go over the entire cabinet with grain filler which will make a total of 2 coats for the top and sides and one coat for the front. After I rub it out with burlap I’ll see how things look. If it needs another coat of grain filler I’ll do it again. Once I’m happy with the front I will lightly sand it with 320 grit sandpaper to remove the staining effect. Since I used sanding sealer on the front I believe the staining will not penetrate the wood.

I’ve already purchased the two toners I will need. I bought one can of Mohawk Medium Brown for the front (M100-0207) and one can of Extra Dark Walnut for the top, sides, and columns (M101-0209). Luckily, there is a Mohawk distributor 15 minutes from where I work. They have EVERYTHING that Mohawk makes. The company info is:

Wood Repair Products
616 N. Eckhoff
Orange, CA
http://www.woodrepairproducts.com/

I still need to pick up some Mohawk Blender Flow-Out before I spray the toners (forgot to pick it up on my last trip). Per previous recommendations this may come in handy if I get a dust nib or something that lands on the finish while it is still wet. The advice it to carefully remove the dust nib (I’ll probably use tweezers) and then light spray the Flow-Out to blend out the imperfection.

Last, but not least, I plan on using Deft Gloss Lacquer for the final coats. I was very impressed with the Deft sanding sealer nozzle. It gives you the option of spraying in two different fan patterns. I wish Mohawk would improve their nozzles. I’m assuming the Deft gloss lacquer will have the same type of nozzle.

I’ll post more updates as I progress.

- Geoff

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles - by Geoff - 10-14-2013, 03:48 PM