Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles

You can't fix a run. You can repair it, but that spot will never match the rest of the radio. You get to chasing it - you sand it, then spray it, and it doesn't match, so you spray more, then the entire spot is darker than the rest of the cabinet, so you spray the area around it... and it never ends.

Don't get a run in the first place. Keep that can back away from that cabinet. It can happen instantly, especially around corners. The dark toners give more problems than the light ones. I don't know why. I've sprayed a cabinet with say, light oak and have no problems. Then, without laying a hand on the cabinet, haven't touched it, haven't moved it.. then I spray a darker toner (like extra dark walnut) over the light color (if the radio has a stripe).. and whammo, fisheyes everywhere. No reason, no rhyme. Or the dark toner gets a run. The dark toners are the ones to be especially careful with. The light ones are like spraying paint.

I'm not trying to scare you, just warn you. You've done so much work on that cabinet. If you hadn't, I wouldn't say anything.. just let you learn on your own..That sanding sealer is gonna make that cabinet slick, so go easy...

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles - by Jamie - 10-21-2013, 04:18 PM