Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles

Well, I just stayed up late and read more about sanding sealer until I thoroughly confused myself. Some people swear by it, others don't use it at all. Most of the things I read from people who use it say you should lay on 1 or 2 coats pretty thick and then sand it back down to the wood, or very close to the wood. I applied 2 heavy coats over the entire cabinet but only lightly sanded and then went over the entire cabinet with #000 steeel wool. It is as smooth as glass but is sounds like I shouldn't have done that. What I will probably do is use 320 again and sand the entire cabinet back down very close to the wood, if not right back down to the wood. This should still leave the grain filler and sanding sealer inside the grain. The tops and sides got 2 coats of grain filler and was smooth before I applied the sanding sealer. The front still has some areas that show the grain, even after the sanding sealer. After sanding down I will hit the front with 1-2 coats of grain filler, lightly sand when dry, and then start applying the toners. But before I do that I'd like to hear some feedback.

I'm tired now and I have a headache.

- Geoff

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles - by Geoff - 10-22-2013, 01:47 AM