Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles

It was something I read on the other forum. Someone was refinishing a Philco 90 and a very long thread began surrounding the refinishing process. The main person giving the advice said that you should put a clear coat down first so you can see where additional toning may be needed. And who knows, maybe after the first coats of clear I may be happy with the color and forego the medium brown walnut toning lacquer.

I quote:

"When you are satisfied with it, spray the entire cabinet with clear. Light coat first, wait 15 mins then a nice wet coat. Overlap your strokes, don't stop the can and control the urge to "point and shoot". Post a pic when done. Can't wait to see it. Before you do...what is the humidity there?

We are not skipping toner. Will come after these coats of clear. With the clear on the cabinet you will be able to really see what the cabinet looks like and WILL look like in the end. Having the clear on when you apply the toner give you a color and tone to reference to. Also if any corrections need to be done to the cabinet, is it easy before the toner. "

The Philco 90 they were working on came out beautifully. Here is the thread:

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/view...7&t=220363

Also, in Post #30 Steve Davis wrote:

"Geoff, I do recommend that you do use clear lacquer before toner. I would spray about three coats of clear and sand. The idea is to have a smooth surface before you before you begin spraying the toner because you must not sand the toner. If you sand the toner, you will have an uneven color. After the toner, apply your decal and clear coat."

- Geoff

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles - by Geoff - 10-29-2013, 07:18 PM