Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles

Bob Andersen Wrote:Perfect Brown has more red in it.

Hi Bob,

I found an example of a restoration on a Philco 650 on the other forum where the poster said the opposite:

http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/view...hp?t=91790

That's what drives me crazy about this hobby sometimes. So many different opinions, even on the same type of cabinet.

The original poster said he originally used Medium Brown Walnut on the front as well (but his didn't turn out quite as dark as mine did). He said he applied a very light coat. I put a couple of what I would call "medium" coats on mine. Maybe I used too many coats and they were not thin enough. In the end the poster stripped the front because he thought it was too reddish and used Perfect Brown instead. I think mine is a little too red as well. I tried hitting the front with #0000 steel wool in hopes that it would lighten it a bit but it didn't seem to help. I'm going to tape it up and strip the front tonight. I'll then try Perfect Brown. If I think that Medium Brown Walnut looked better, then I'll strip off the Perfect Brown and put it back on again. No big deal. This is the first cabinet I have ever refinished so it is a learning experience. And I want to take the time to do it right. The 650 in the link above is the look I'd like to achieve, but maybe not with such a glossy finish.

By the way, I love the videos you post on YouTube. I saw the one you did for your 643. I've got a Predicta Pedestal that I'll start sometime next year and have learned a lot from your TV restoration videos. Keep up the great work!

- Geoff

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles - by Geoff - 11-12-2013, 11:38 PM