Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles

I've done a tone of research regarding the application of lacquer and hand-rubbing out the final finish. The purpose of sanding is to level out the surface and make it totally smooth. If you run your hand across a piece of furniture that has been professionally finished it has that "velvety" feel to it. Right now, if I run my hand across the finish you can feel where there is some over-spray, which is inevitable. Before I stripped the cabinet last time I practiced sanding with different grits. What happens is after you do the initial sanding you will see very small spots that are shiny. These are the low spots in the finish that did not get touched by the sanding. From what I have read, after you get to the point where there are small shiny spots you apply several more coats to build the finish back up, then sand down again. Eventually these shiny low spots will build up and get sanded like the surrounding area. These low spots are not really that low. Prior to sanding you would not even see them. But if you want that smooth "velvety" feel on your cabinet then the sanding must be done. When practicing before stripping I was really amazed at how smooth the finish felt after sanding with 320, then 500, then 800.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles - by Geoff - 12-17-2013, 04:28 PM