Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles

(12-12-2014, 02:35 AM)thirtiesradio Wrote:  Wow Geoff, you have really done a nice job on this cabinet. I usually don't go for gloss finishes but when done nicely like yours it looks great Icon_thumbup

I'm not huge on gloss finishes either but I always read that you should spray gloss because it doesn't have the dulling fines that are added to semi-gloss and satin lacquers. Without them the finish is more more durable. Then, depending upon what you use, you can rub the gloss out to whatever finish you want. I'm not totally convinced of this approach. What I have found is that yes, you can achieve a semi-gloss or satin after rubbing out gloss but you are left with very fine visible scratches. And then of course, as you continue rubbing to get rid of the scratches you are back to a gloss finish which I am trying to avoid.

The other factor that plays into how visible the scratches are is the color of what you are rubbing out. I finished rubbing out the top, sides, and columns with 4F pumice and mineral oil last night. It was getting late but for a quick test I rubbed out a small 4" x 4" section of the lighter brown on the front (rubbing with the grain). The dark top and sides showed visible scratches as shown in the photos above but in the lighter front section they were very difficult to see. On the front I used Mohawk Perfect Brown (M100-0249), a dye-based toner. On the top, sides, and columns I used a Mohawk pigment based toner (Extra Dark Walnut, #M101-0209). I think any pigment based toner would show the rub out scratches more than the dye based.

The plan next is to finish the 4F rub out on the front and then switch to Rottenstone. I'll post some pictures as time permits.

- Geoff

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 640 Cabinet Refinishing Chronicles - by Geoff - 12-12-2014, 01:21 PM