Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

cracked veneer on a rounded vertical corner

Hi Folks,
I am working on a 37-2690 Philco, and the 2 front vertical corners are probably about a 1 inch radius.
THey wrapped veneer around these corners and it has started cracking on the tight radius.
Is there a way of patching these cracks and still have it not too noticable?
Or, would I have to try to wrap new veneer on the corners?
Anyone have any suggestions?
murf

37-2690???

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

It all depends on how bad it's cracked. Can you post some photos?

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Oops, typo.
Meant 37-2670B.

New veneer is the best answer. I have seen a lot of patch and glue jobs. They last for a while. Some may last a long time, but as temperature and humidity change the crack will reappear.

The problem might be with the structure its self. There are sets that sat out in a barn with cracked veneer. And there are sets that often have cracked veneer no matter where they lived. A Philco 37-116 is a good example. This indicates that there might have been issues with construction/materials or the support structure.

Veneer is just he top layer of plywood. Normally the grains of the plies run in opposite directions to add strength an avoid splitting. In some of these cases the layer under the veneer may also be splitting. Laying fresh veneer over a split may eventually result in a crack in the finish/veneer.

Any shortcut taken now may result in having to repair and refinish part or all of the cabinet (again) later.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Anyone have suggestions as to a supplier of veneer?
I am guessing it's best to get the thin stuff to make the bend around the corner easier.
Probably have to make a block with the radius cut into it for gluing and clamping.
Have to look for a junk cabinet otherwise and maybe wet it down a little to make the veneer peel off easier.
Gonna give it a shot as soon as I can round up some veneer.
murf

Murf, I would go with a paper backed veneer. Paper back veneer is very thin and flexible and wrap around a corner with no problem.

I have bought veneer from this fellow many times http://www.ebay.com/sch/jsowoodproducts/...7675.l2562

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes