Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Antenna adjusting lever

What would be a clever, convenient and effective way to attach some kind of mechanism to rotate the antenna on the 42-400 (for my sister to operate without pulling the radio out and away from the wall, adjusting it, then pushing it back in)? I'm amazed that Philco made no provision to adjust the antenna remotely,(or with a knob), on a higher end set like this! I was thinking of a slide lever, but looks like it might be tricky to incorporate that method and make the antenna travel the full 3/4 rotation. (I would post pictures to show what I mean, but they come out super-sized on the Phorum!) Thanks!

Why not reduce them and post?

If you lower the resolutoin on your camera when you take the pictures I think it will be a smaller picture then..If I remember correctly.

Here's a way to resize photos:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...2#pid35972

I had a Stromberg Carlson set from the '40's years ago that had a knob on the front that would rotate the loop antenna. Worked great!
Terry

My thought would be to use a vertical shaft of either wood (dowel rod) or metal, add two wooden brackets to the back of the radio that would allow the rod to pass through. Then add a suitable knob of your choice at the top. Add a similar size pulley below and attach to another pulley on the rotating antenna assembly, couple them together with dial cord or other material of your choice so that as the top knob is turned, the antenna rotates below. The wood brackets, dowel rod etc. could be made just long enough to reach at the back top part of the set without showing from the front and still allow for fairly close placement against a wall.

Joe

Well, unless this is a very unusual loop, the most you would ever need to turn it would be 90 degrees, and some in between compromise might work out OK for the stations you want to hear. Anyway, a rotater could be as simple as an appropriate length of coat hanger anchored to a non conducting portion of the loop mechanism and exiting the cabinet through a very small hole in the side and perhaps equipped with a small knob or plastic piece or whatever to do the adjustment.

Even easier, if there is a provision for an external antenna on this set, 10 or 15 feet of wire might just be good enough. Like everything, it depends.