Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The Green Weenie 1936 116X

Here is a parts set I picked up today. Fugly green painted, but basically all there. Cabinet is hurting big time--delamination on sides, top is loose. All three clarifiers have a hole in them, but repairable. Main speaker I believe is intact. Also got a Motorola 10Y I put in the other phorum, and a nice Seth Thomas adamantine clock case that I have all the parts to make whole again.
[Image: http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345...3dacfc.jpg]
[Image: http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z345...e6b374.jpg]
Gene

Egad-----good luck.

Custom paint job by Arthur Deco...

Ew who could even like the paint color Icon_thumbdown

I swear, we Americans must have really hated anything looking natural after the war. What is that? The green that was all over in the 60's or the 70's? Blecch! At least it looks complete.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Wow Gene...good luck with her. Are you going to retore her or use it as a parts set? Looks like everything is their to keep it a whole radio.

Good one Chuck!
Kind of reminds you of the green they used on cars in the 1950's....
The veneer on the top is shot/missing quite a bit of it. So the whole top would have to be done. I can get the cabinet firmed back up by redoing the glue blocks and the delamination on the lower sides. I haven't ever put veneer on anything so I don't know how that would go. They are nice looking radios if they are done. It is all there from what I can see.

Gene

The top surface looks to be flat, so putting on new veneer would be pretty easy. You put glue on both surfaces, let it dry, then iron on the new veneer. Trim, sand, and you are done. Search you tube, there are several good videos showing how it's done. That would be a nice radio to save.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

I would try to save the cabinet. Veneering is easy. I know this because I can do it.

Hello, Gene: that's quite a project!! The 116X is one of my favorites, nice combination of power, sound quality, and reception.

The paint may be a royal pain in the thing one sits on. My 116B cabinet was painted with white house paint on the sides and top and gold spray paint on the front. It took forever to get it all off.

Must have been in the Warden's Office. Agree, save it!

Hi All;
I agree with CodeFox its only missing the Bars, Also I wouldn't call it a parts set, but a repairable Radio untill proven otherwise..
THANK YOU Marty

Looks like someone had some left over after painting the interior of a school bus.

It's not how bad you mess up, it's how well you can recover.

Hi Gene
In the spring I bought a 116X from a member here,it came with a lot of extras. A complete 2nd chassis, speaker, large clarifier, dial escutcheon, rubber mounts,etc.The only thing that was missing where the two small clairifiers. About a month later someone in the area was parting out a nice 116X on Epay. Needless to say I jumped on the cabinet which was in good shape. It sold for a meager amount like $10 or so. The speakers sold for something crazy like $200. That's how I ended up with two of these old guys
I like the style of the cabinet better than the '37 model but I'm pretty sure it won't sound as good even with a couple of tweeters to replace the two missing clairifiers.
GL with your project looks like a lot of fun and enjoyment in the end!
Terry

I wouldn't worry to much about the missing acoustic clarifiers. I've read the patent and I'm 99 % sure they do nothing.