Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is this a Philco 71?

HI all,
I have a Philco 71H highboy, and the chassis in it is unmarked but in doing some re-capping I found inconsistancies with the Philco 71 schematics... I have a 71 code 125 cathedral and thats very different from this chassis.

The chassis has a lineup of 36's with a 44IF but this chassis is also fitted for a Tube shield, which is missing... were any 71's fitted for a tube shield? were any sets with a 36 or 44 tube lineup fitted for a tube shield?

Just not sure which model this chassis is really for.

Thanks

KEith

Hi Keith

The majority of Philco 71 chassis (Code 121/221 and 123/223) have a single large tube shield on the left (when looking at the chassis from the back), like the late version of the Philco 70.

Towards the end of 71 production, Philco switched to individual cylindrical shields over the RF, Det-Osc and IF tubes.

Shadow meters were also added to Philco 71 sets sometime during production. I'm pretty sure that no code 121 or 221 model 71 sets had shadowmeters. I'm thinking these were added during production of code 123/223; and by code 125, a shadowmeter was standard.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

aha, Ok, this is a code 221 as I suspected, no shadowmeter. It might have the wrong tubes in it, it works well without the tube shield but Id like to find one. Ive had this set over 20 years now and im going thru it to make sure everything is right now that I have things like schematics that I didnt have 20 years ago!

Thanks.,

Keith

Keep an eye on eBay those shields show up from time to time. There was someone making them but I haven't been able to find out who it was or where he was selling them.

-Keith

Chuck Paci, cpaci1 at verizon dot net, makes the reproduction tube shields, and they are of excellent quality and include reproduction stickers on them. He puts them on eBay from time to time, and Mark Oppat resells Chuck's shields, but you can contact Chuck direct and he will be glad to sell one (or more) to you. Icon_smile

All 71 sets have the following tube lineup:

39/44 - RF amp
36 - Det-Osc
39/44 - IF amp
37 (connected as a diode) - 2nd Det.
39/44 - Audio Amp
42 - Audio Out
80 - Rectifier

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Mark had a few of the shields up at Kutztown.
Terry