Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 024 Signal Generator

Hi All;
I have the Philco 024 Signal Generator, and I have ordered the Papers (Documents) from Chuck for it and they are a week or more away..
But, in the mean time can anyone tell me if there are three power wires or four power wires ?? As near as I can tell I have three wires that I assume are for power, but it could be missing a wire.. Two (I think) of what I have are for the filament one going thru the switch which is missing and I have put in.. The other one of the three is for the +90 Volts, its -side of the 90 volts that I am not sure of.. Does it go to one of the filament wires which would make it a three wire setup, Or does it go to Ground which I would then have a four wire setup and I am missing that wire..
THANK YOU Marty

I would suspect that one wire is for +90v, one wire is for +2v and the third is for the -90v and -2v together. But relax and the diagram will be there before you know it or damage something by applying the wrong voltage to the wrong wire.
Terry

Hi All;
Radioroslyn, I already know what you have stated, and that was or is why I asked about the correct wiring.. I just thought maybe someone would have the answer before the papers get here.. Patience is not one of my traits.. I hate waiting..
THANK YOU Marty

Ok well tell me where each of the wires connect.
Terry

Hi All;
That is the 64 thousand dollar question.. I am pretty sure that the Green Stripped wire goes to +90 volts.. And the white wire goes to the + side of the filament voltage (+2.0 volts) and the green wire thru the switch goes to the - side of the filament.. But, the real question is does the -90 volt side go to the - side of the filament as you said, or to ground since there is a tab there next to the switch.. And as you have said I don't want to burn anything up.. I can use a lower voltage for testing purposes, but confirmation would be a better way to go.. I have a partial schematic drawn out..
THANK YOU Marty

Marty, go lock that signal generator in the trunk of your car.. and don't get it out until the schematic arrives.. Icon_lol

If you mess it up, you'll be kicking yourself in the rear..

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Yes, Just guessing and experimenting will probably only get you in trouble. If there are schematics on the way I wouldnt touch any wireing until you get that..If you can't wait, clean it all up cosmeticaly until you recieve the papers.

Hi All;
Besides drawing out the Schematic, I have also put knobs on the Outside.. Probably not correct, but at least I have something on there.. I have also put in a switch from another old meter that was parts and so the switch looks Origional.. So, I have been bidding my time doing what I can..
THANK YOU Marty

Hi All;
I got the Schematic from Chuck, THANK YOU Chuck !!
And the Biggest Suprise is that the B+ Voltage was not 90 Volts, but 22 and 1/2 Volts, I don't know where I had heard that it was 90 Volts.. But, now I have the Schematic.. I need to get some Battery Holders from Radio Shack, on a single "D" for the filament and for starters 3 nine volt holders, once it is working I will add another three holders for longer life (Series-Parallel).. 27 volts..
THANK YOU Marty

Glad to help. Post some pics of the innards.

Chassis underside, rear of chassis outside the cabinet, etc.

Chuck

Yes the normal plate voltage for a #30 tube is 90 to 180 volts but for some applications 45 volts is listed in the RCA data sheet and in the 024 it uses 22-1/2