Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Next Project - Butterfly Radio

I thought I would share my next restoration project. It's a sad little Philco Model 45 that needs quite a bit of help. Normally I would do the chassis first, but winter is approaching and I'm gonna knock out as many cabinets as I can this fall. Here it is..

As you can see, it has some old glue caked into the slots. Anyone got any ideas on how to get it off the wood?

One more thing... I don't create these threads to show you I am the forum expert on refinishing. Actually, it is the opposite.. I'm no expert at all. My goal is simply to encourage everyone to try their hand at repairing and refinishing cabinets. Hey, if a guy named Puhpow can get decent results, so can you!

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Now, I'd like to see how you replicate the louvers in the top plus the two raised bars in the top. (It looks like someone removed the original cabinet top and installed a plain piece of wood in its place.) Good luck!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

ohh sounds like a challenge to me Icon_e_surprised

heheh.. it sure does!.. I've been asking myself those same questions. I'm trying to find good photos of a 45, so I can decide the next move.

Hi All;
PuhPow, I want to Thank You for the picture, I at least now know what knobs my Radio would take..
THANK YOU Marty

I agree with Ron, I think that is exactly what happened, the original top came off, or suffered some other damage, so someone put a piece of thin plywood in it's place. The original may have been laminated too but thicker, and it had a tongue to fit into the groove on each side, the grooves that have since broken away. That cabinet needs a little more help then some wood filler and lacquer can offer on short notice. I would work on something else first that doesn't need so much reconstructive surgery.
Regards
Arran

Nahhh.. I'm not shy. The new top will be created this week. Stay tuned...

Good luck kid! My 45L has a very nice tone to it. I hope your version looks good and sounds super when done. Keep us posted.

Regards,

paul

Tubetalk1

Thanks Paul! .. I found some great photos of an original 45 on Ebay. A very good friend of mine has a woodworking setup in his basement... routers, lathes, you name it. He offered to help me make the new top. (Translated - he's gonna make it, and I'm gonna watch..8)) I've got my cabinet stripped and I'm taking it over there tomorrow. He's going to look at it and tell me what kind of wood to buy.

Tomorrow afternoon, I'll go buy the wood and any veneer required and then make the top on Thursday. So if all goes well, I should have some photos soon.

Yes! We have a top! Icon_thumbup Today was a productive day. Of course the top still needs to be glued together, sanded and sealed... but it's coming along...

Looks good!!!

hmm think puhpow is smuggling gold in his radios. top may be wood decal Icon_shh

Hi All;
PuhPow, Looks Great.. Did You maybe work for Philco in Your Younger years , Or just dream of Working for them ??
THANK YOU Marty

Thanks guys! .. Murph, if it ever became work, I wouldn't want to do it.

This radio is still a long way from being finished. The top looks pretty good, but there are still some issues left to contend with..

PuhPow--is that the original top--or did you make ? looks good