Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-116

Hi,
I'm new to this I picked up a 37-116 at church sale and would like to restore it. The set plays well, but the speakers are in need of attention. Are there any problems specific to this model or anything I should be checking out or be concerned with?
Thanks
Andy

Welcome Andy. This should be a really neat set to play with. Before operating it any more, the filter caps really should be replaced (as a minimum). Might want to investigate the information on Ron's site and Chuck Schwark's Philcorepair bench before proceeding. Plenty of information on both.

Thanks for the information. The last thing I was is to have it go up in smoke.
I'll check the sites.
Andy

You will have fun with the set's Magnetic Tuning circuitry. It is a real bear to align properly. If you can pull it off, though, you will be rewarded by your set remaining on-frequency on those strong stations, without drift, as long as the Magnetic Tuning switch is turned ON.

Get the schematic package from Chuck, it contains alignment info including how to align the Magnetic Tuning circuit.

Also, you will really enjoy this set's high fidelity capability, if you have your own AM transmitter or if you have an AM station that still plays music. Hearing Flush Dimbulb in Hi-Fi is, frankly, overkill for as fine a set as a 37-116 is.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN