Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 46-350

Hi guys.

I am brand new to this phorum and to Philco radios. To be honest, don't know anything about them. I am here though to try and find information on one that was given to me. This is a Philco 46-350 and its unique because it has an Auburn University mascot logo on either side of the radio. The bottom front border has Aubbie (the Auburn mascot) with the word Auburn stamped across on what I believe is the leather strap. I am an Auburn fan so the guy gave it to me on that merit. The radio is in bad shape and it would be neat to restore it back to at least working condition. My question though is, is this a Philco endorsed promo item? Was there a collegiate line of these radios? Or is this the aftermarket work of a previous owner. The logo of the Tiger is in line with the period of the radio. I am hoping maybe some of you experienced and knowledgeable Philco enthusiasts can help me out. From my understanding on the little I have read, this is a common radio and looks like I could get it functioning again, I am more interested in the Auburn memorabilia aspect of it as it would be a nice center piece for my small collection.

Hello and welcome!

I have never read anywhere about Philco producing any special 46-350 sets for universities. I believe what was done to your radio, was done after it left the factory, quite possibly by its original owner.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron.

I am beginning to suspect the same. It is just interesting because the logos on the side of the radio do not appear to be stickers, as well as the word Auburn running on the bottom of it. The radio is in bad shape and I would like to restore it. Due to the Auburn University significance, I would like to keep that aspect of it apart of the restoration. I am going to try to get a couple of pictures of it here so that I may get further insight on how I should proceed.

A skilled leathercrafter could have added the Auburn name and logos.

Yes, please do post some pictures...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

They may have been some sort of water slide decal, A friend of mine has an Admiral portable from the same era with the name and insignia of some college football team on it and I think that was what was used. The emblems are not printed on a paper sticker, and at that time they did not print stickers on plastic film. You can do a certain amount of cleaning and restoration to the leatherette, as long as it isn't worn through or torn up, it's kind of like old fashioned linoleum only thinner, a cloth with a thick coating on top.
Someone on the alternative forum has a an International Kadette radio that has decals from a college frat house on it, you know the cliche frat house like you would see in a movie or TV show, that uses Greek letters that don't spell anything. That wasn't why he had it, the reason was that it was one of the Kadette models made infamous for being marketed as a 10 tube radio even though 4-5 of the "tubes" were ballasts.
Regards
Arran

This model radio is very good and sensitive, and pretty easy to work on, I've done a couple, so no matter what else, you should end up with a very usable set.

Beware he tiny 10 mmf capacitor inside the RF stage transformer can T2. It was bad on 2 sets I worked on. Amazing!

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/596/M0013596.htm