Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith Shutter Dial

Hi Folks:

At Brookline and Kutztown, I was able to see and hear a few. Artistically and technologically they are beautiful. Seeking opinions about any differences between the lower tube models and the 12S series from 1938 and beyond? A recent Radio Attic ad and other websites introduced me to the 12S265, 12S266, 12S267 and 12S471.

My goal is to own one of the best Zenith and one of the best Philco console radio's ever made. My focus is not solely on the highest price or rarity but the highest technical and sound quality.

My friend owns a Philco 690X and it knocked my socks off. I am looking for one or the more affordable option of hearing another one in a home setting closer to my geographic area (NYC / CT).

Any Zenith experts on this website, if you have a moment to share some brief comments on qualitative assessments, that would be appreciated as well as some ballpark figures for what a rational price would be restored lately for a high tube count Zenith like the ones I mentioned.

Best:

Ian M. Gordon
CT Audio Society
NEARC

I can tell you this as I'm working on a 39 Zenith 9-S-367 right now. The cheapest Philco console has a much better built cabinet. The top of a discount Philco console has a 1/2" piece of hardwood, the Z is a 1/18" piece of plywood... but it is a cool looking cabinet.

IMHO: from what I've seen, the Philco is a better radio. But the Robot Dial Zeniths are just too "cool" so a guy or gal ought to have one.

Or put in another way, the Z's are great to look at, but the P's are great to listen to.

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

Brand Z sets perform alright, but there is nothing that spectacular about them technologically. RCA, G.E, and Philco sets from the same era are much better performers if you are comparing two sets with the same, or similar, tube counts. One major fault with many Zeniths is an undersized power transformer, and consequently more transformer failures, something that is not an issue with most Philcos. One thing that brand Z had going for them was the eye appeal, though some of their cabinets are kind of tacky in my opinion.
Regards
Arran

Of the Z's you have listed the 12S265 is probably the most common, but all command a relatively high price. They do pop up from time to time at estate and garage sales, where you can get them for a better price.

Have you considered a 12A3/12S568 from 1941? They are a decent set, are a "Shutter Dial," and are generally MUCH more affordable than the other sets you listed.

The prices in Radio Attic for ALL the Zenith Radios are rediculously high. Even the 12S568 there for 350.00 is at least 150.00 more than you should have to pay for a set in better shape. From personal experience I know that one seller there offers sets that have shoddy electronic restoration by their "technician." Also same seller neglects to show chassis pics of sets that have corroded chassis, and fails to show pics of the portions of the cabinet that have significant flaws.

With respect to Philco, the model 116X, 680, 37-116 and 38-116 are all high-tube count sets that sound and receive very well, but are far more affordable than the 37/38-690.

+1 on the 12A3. I have one and it sounds very nice.

Though to answer your question directly "one of the best" from the 30s - 12-U-159. Very good not properly restored ~ $3000.00. Caps restuffed, resistors, all other original parts in a very nice original cabinet or a VERY nice restored cabinet ~$5000.00.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Love my Zenith 12s-265 one of the best in my collection!

The Radio Attic seller that Tom mentions always has a number of Canadian made sets for sale at inflated prices. He has also tried pedaling sets with home brew cabinets as "rare" factory originals, one was a Philco 640 or 650 he bought on fleabay, probably because he didn't know it was a fake. He is even known on the alternative forum for the cut rate service jobs performed on his sets; someone over there knew one of his former "techs" who had a falling out with the old man because he didn't Muntz things enough. Basically you are paying premium restored prices for flea market grade sets, don't commit to anything without some under chassis shots first.
Regards
Arran