Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-629P

I found a 41-629 today. Luckily I did some research here before making up my mind. I realized that it is missing the Beam of Light tone arm. I thought that it had the tone arm, but that it was installed on the left side. I thought, "now that's odd, installed over there." I learned that the left side arm was used to record records, not to play them. The playing arm should be on the right, but it's missing. Probably raided for parts because that BOL arm is desired for parts.

Anyway, they asking price is $85, but seems high without that arm. Question is, did I make the right call to pass it up, or should I go back for it? Just wondering if the radio in that condition is worth it...

dusty
if your not going to buy it can I get link I would had picked up but that's me as i like bol and always looking for them
thanks sam

If I decide not to, I'll be glad to share the info. The problem I'm having in deciding is my lack of experience; I've only just recently started working with these radios. So, I don't know if this it's still a good value, even without the BOL arm. Of course, in the end it's a personal choice. I'm just looking for opinions.

Thanks!

hey dusty
nice looking set ,cutter is a plus it comes as 2 deferent turn tables
1 gear driven and 1 rim driven you would want to check as the gear driven is always broken (west tech gill)has them at a 75.00 but it don`t take much to snap them (don`t ask ) gill can repair them at 350.00 not including main parts but they do come up on ebay and go just as fast but I have several tone arms and other parts if you decide to get it
sam

I took a closer look at this and decided not to pass it up. I could not find a lot of information about others like it on line, so I don't know if that means that it's rare, or so common that it's not worth mentioning. Icon_lolno

I did find, of course the schematics and other useful information. You can bet that I'll be getting ahold of Chuck pretty quick. I'll pick it up this weekend, but don't expect to see me starting work on this for another month or two.

[Image: http://osageinc.com/skyeradio/Philco41-629PFront.jpg]
View from the front

[Image: http://osageinc.com/skyeradio/Philco41-629PPhone.jpg]
The turntable

My wife asked, with a grin, how soon she would be able to hear that record that's on there. I told her not to hold her breath. When I get to that turntable, I suspect that I'll be muttering to myself for a while. The good news is, I found the missing tone arm in the back of the cabinet!

The better news is, I hope to have a some great folks here to help save me from myself (or commiserate) when I get started.

looks good should clean up nicely
first thing get chucks schematic's lot of info and cheep large print replace all caps and dreaded block caps. not sure but mine is 608 had to replace all rubber bushings and mounts to aline chassis
arm just clips back in. is head broken off or cover just off looks like microphone wire their on record ? need to make sure light bulb in arm works and has tracking needle keep us posted
sam8)

I did one of these (41-629) a couple of years back. Was a bit of work, but also rewarding to get the old beast playing again. It seems (at least to me) that the BOL system doesn't pick up as much noise when playing beat up records.

Thanks for the feedback. I expect that it will be at least December before you see it in the restoration phorum. Rest assured that once I clear the decks for it, you will find it there...

If it's anything like the 42-1226 that I restored, you'll be very pleased with how it sounds.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Be careful when you first power it up. I don't know about Philcos but that 6X5 rectifier killed a lot of brand Z transformers.

John
Las Vegas, NV USA

The 6X5 is much less of an issue in sets other then brand Zs because brand Z didn't design their power supplies properly.
Regards
Arran