Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 48-1274 No A.M or F.M. signal.

Hey guys i am new to the forum and may need someone with exp in this particular console. I paid 60 for it and it was completely non-functional. I now have power and the tubes light up as well as bulbs but aside from static I have absolutely nothing else. The motor for the presets works as well. So instead of being an idiot and digging in I want to see if anyone has had or may know the steps to get her back up and going. Please make sure you imply if it is an (opinion) or an issue you (directly) encountered. I am currently and proud to say the least that im officially hooked on the phonographs and have 2 so far. Thank you guys for letting me join your forum and look forward to these discussions Icon_thumbup

Hi Hick and welcome to the Phorum,
Well it's time to fire up the soldering iron and replace the wax/paper caps. While you've got the cap disconnected if it as a resistor hooked to it it would be a good time to measure it to see if it is close to it marked value. Resistors that have caps connect to won't measure correctly with the cap still connected. Then you've got a few electrolytic caps in the power supply that must be replaced as they will short and cause a lot of damage.
After you do that you can start troubleshooting and figure out why it's not working. Maybe after the cap replacement it may work!
We must have been neighbors cause I grew up in the sticks too! What part of the sticks are you in??
If you need any help figuring this set out there are lots of smart and friendly guy's and gal to give you sound advice.
GL
Terry
You might want to send Chuck a note, he can hook you up with the original service info. They're nice clean copies of all the info. Sometimes the free service info is hard to read and incomplete.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/Resources/618/M0013618.htm
Just looked at the schematic that's one Bad A.. set. Should really rattle yer windows!!!

Thank you Terry, I will be posting some pics on here soon. Any particular places you want me to take a photo of let me know and ill do my best to get the cleanest shot i can. thanks for the quick response.

I had a 48-1274 at one time. I could not get it playing on either band. After counting the # of caps and resistors to replace, I decided it was a lost cause. It was near mint on the finish and the huge speaker would have "done it good" but alas.............
If you need any of the tubes, I still have them (I think).