Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Next Project - worse than the last?

This is my new project radio. It's another GE waterfall radio. I restored one of these about 6 weeks ago and posted some pics on the finishing process. This one is in a little bit worse condition. Icon_lol

If you guys are interested, I can keep you updated...

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Self esteem issues???

You sure can choose 'em. BUT.... IF you think that you can bring it back from the dead radio planet, I recommend that you chronicle the steps of your resto. WHY??

Because there are "Lazarus" catagories of radio awards that are given to the radio that went from a basket case to nice.

ARC recently documented such a contest.

It CAN be done!

Glutton for punishment?
Will be fun to watch.
Looks like someone left the hood open!

Tim

She's pretty rough, that's for sure. I think it may have been buried in the mud. It looks like someone dug it up. That strip laying on the counter is the dial. I think the tube on the counter is the ballast tube. Restored one of these same radios a short while back and sold it for a decent price. I hope this one comes out just as nice; they are pretty radios.

I don't go out and look for nasty radios, but when this one came along, I couldn't pass it up. These are kinda rare, so I may never find another one. I'm familiar with the chassis, and they are pretty simple radios. The last one had "the hood open" too, but not as bad as this one. I just hope the speaker and all of the coils are good.

TA, I'll be sure to chronicle every step. It should be a lot of fun. Plan to start on it in the next couple of days.

Yes, keep us posted on progress!!

I got started on this today. This is right after I pulled the chassis. It's looking pretty crusty..but the good news is - the speaker looks fine.

The flip side - everything looks like it's there...

Under the hood... like a virgin! 8) More good news!

Time to get started on the cabinet. It's pretty funky... I normally get a radio playing before I do cabinet work, but this radio depends on my ability to repair this cabinet. So, I'll be working on the cabinet and chassis at the same time.

Surprisingly, the grill cloth doesn't look all that bad. I may try to save it. We will have to see how that works out...

First order of the day is to glue this little piece back on. I glue on any pieces before I get started stripping. This way all of the cabinet goes through the same process. Less chance of weird coloration later..

Stripper time! Do-dah-dah-do 8) (sung to the tune of Hammer Time!)

While the stripper is working, I think I will check the tubes. I always check the tubes as soon as possible. That way, if I need to order a tube, I'll have it before the radio is done.

More good news! Every tube in the radio is good, except one - the ballast tube. (Second radio like this that I've done, and both have bad ballest tubes.) Even so, isn't it amazing how tubes are so incredibly tough? This radio is trashed and abused, yet the tubes are good. Icon_thumbup

Here's the chassis after a quick clean up. A little brushing, some compressed air, and contact cleaner goes a long way. It's actually looking like a radio now. Icon_biggrin (A word of warning to new guys - be careful with the compressed air. You can cause some serious problems if you hit the wrong thing with it... Avoid anything that looks like an adjustment screw..and don't use it under the chassis)

This is probably the last you'll see of the chassis. This is the cabinet forum, so I'll stay on topic. It's just a simple chassis anyway. Hopefully, it'll just be a boring recap and resistor replacement, followed by an alignment....

Here is our little cabinet after a date with the stripper! .. Looking better, but broke and lonely. Icon_lol

Actually, this radio is looking better than I thought it would. The veneer looks great. It's a pretty solid cabinet, and I'm happy with the chassis. This might not be so bad... The big step will be bending that top back down and gluing it. If that goes bad, and it breaks - game over. ... Keep your fingers crossed..

Great work so far. You probably don't need my suggestion but it looks like the fabric ratchet straps would be great to pull the cabinet together while the glue sets; worked on my car door panels that are curved.

Good luck,

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

Thanks Mike! That's a great idea. Unfortunately, I don't have any ratchet clamps. I've already got a set of woodworking clamps, so I'll be using those instead.

Speaking of clamps... I tried using a clamp to bend the top back down. I got within 1/2" of where I need to be...and began to hear the dreaded sound.... Crrrraacckk! ... so, I released the clamp right away. No damage. Dry clamping worked on the previous GE I restored, but it's not gonna work this time.

That leaves option #2 - water. I need to get this wood wet before I bend it back into shape. The downside to using water is possible delamination of the veneer. That would be a pain in the rear, but it would be repairable, whereas a huge crack is not.

Ever shave a radio? Icon_lol .. Same principle here. Hot, wet towel across the face. I'll let it soak for about 15 minutes, then try the clamp again.

Nice work so far. Just a suggestion...if you have a soup pot large enough to place the cabinet in try steaming the wood before attempting to bend it back. Put about a half inch of water in the pot, then a pie plate to keep the cabinet from coming in contact with the water. Add the cabinet and slowly bring the water to a slow boil with the lid on the pot. Ten or so minutes should rehydrate the wood so it will flex easier. Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

You might want to wet the inside surface of the cabinet also. That way the inner surface will also become more flexible and be able to compress while the outer surface is in tension and stretches under the force of the clamp.

Good idea Mondial..!... and it was perfect timing!.. (Edited to add - Sorry Gary, I missed your post. I think the pot of water is good idea and would have worked just as well)
Success! .. Glued and clamped down tight. I used Extra Strength Elmer's Wood glue. It's good stuff...

Now for the bad news - We did have some delamination, but it's not a disaster..