Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What should I do with this?

What a beautiful cabinet you have. I've read about others using bleach to even out dark spots on stripped wood. I wonder if this would help you here...

Thanks EricS. Bleach might work. I just don't about the strength,might be too strong.

I would get some of the old fashioned pain and varnish remover and apply that to the stubborn areas, KleenStrip is one such brand. Then I would wash the cabinet down with acetone or lacquer thinner to get rid of any residue. Don't worry about saving the original Philco decal, Radio Daze has proper reproductions now so the old one is just going to get in the way of refinishing. If those black marks are stains then the only way to get them out may be to use bleach, if they are iron stains phosphoric acid will also remove them.
Regards
Arran

I can't vouch for "Wood Bleach" but I can for whiting compound.

It's hard to make a judgement call from looking at 600 pixel images. Most of the time, I will ignore marks such as those. It's a 75 year old cabinet, those marks are part of it's history and character. Once it's refinished, the beauty of the cabinet will overwhelm the eye and the marks will be much less noticeable. Of course, if there are deep gouges, or missing veneer, I repair it. There is a difference between "character marks" and flaws that I cannot describe. It's just my own personal preference... many strive for perfection, and that's great too.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

I just got back to computer and seen the new responses and I thank you all for helping. I've been working on the top today and here is where I got so far.
[Image: http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o654...43fad0.jpg]
I'am going to take it outside tomorrow and strip it down all over with 50/50 acetone and lacquer thinner. I can live with the way the top is now. It looks darker in the photos than it is. On lower left of pic. There is an area where I had to patch the veneer and need to wait on glue to set overnight. Any recommendations is always appreciated.

I think it looks perfect.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Thanks PuhPow, I will post some pics tomorrow after I strip it down one, hopefully last time.

It appears you have a cigarette burn on the top left edge just like I have on mine. Don't people use ashtrays anymore?

By the way, you're doing an incredible job with the stripping. You must have the patience of a saint to take on a project with such intricate detailing.

Thanks PT57, Yes that is a cig. burn probably from the 1960s. I'am going to just leave it as is. It is a tedious project but this is my first attempt at a cabinet restore and this radio has been in family since the early 1950s so I just plug away little at a time. Really want it to look nice when done.

Wow, that looks much better already! The dark spots across the front of the top are all but gone. The cigarette burn is pretty small and I would think it will disappear as you apply toner to the top. If it doesn't, as PuhPow said, it will add some character. If it still bothers you now, a light sanding - very light - might take some of the darkness away.

Yes I tried the sanding and it made it little smaller so I tried some mixed wood bleach didn't want to sand through. It really made no change so I tried a drop of bleach three times with no change. Figure I can leave it alone

I bet the toner will make it mostly invisible. Can't wait to see the finished work!

EricS thanks, I have to order the Mohawk toners probably will take sometime to get them. I ordered some constantines wood grain filler yesterday and it is on back order won't be going out til sometime next week. Soon as I make some progress I will get some updated pics posted.