Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 84 Problem

I have a Philco 84 that I have re-capped and have either checked or replaced all of the bad resistors. Things were going reasonably well during alignment. I was picking up three separate stations, one on each end of the dial and one in the middle. Then for some unexplained reason things changed.
First, the only time the radio would receive is when the volume was turned completely up. There is no sound that comes out of the speaker unless this is done. This is a new problem that I can't seem to isolate. Furthermore I have no selectivity in the tuning, I get one strong station all across the dial and no others. Any Help would be appreciated.

I'm willing to bet your oscillator coil primary is open. I've restored three or four of these and they all had this symptom. It's not hard to rewind this part of the coil. Try to get the wire size close and the number of turns the same as the old coil. If it won't oscillate, reverse the connections. Remember too, that this radio needs a good antenna and ground to operate. It was Philco's cheapest offering at the time and while it will pick up all the local stations and sound pretty good, it is not a DX radio.

Steve Chambers
Warren, Ohio