Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Another Brand Z sneaks into the collection.

Another brand Z has snuck into my collection. It is a model 10-S-589 and even though it isn't perfect, I liked the looks and the price was right. Only major issues, I need to reglue one of the veneer strips back onto the grill and the original phonograph was replaced sometime with a V-M four speed changer. (Maybe that isn't so bad as the original changers are so-so at best.) No major hacking done on the cabinet, so I could put an original changer back in if I wanted. One thing that did get me is the speaker, it's a beast compared to the one in my 10-S-599 from the same year! Icon_eek

No matter where you go, there you are.

Nice one!
If i werent into records, i'd put in a wine-chiller!
'er I mean beer chiller

I like it! That front is awesome! Cabinet looks very nice from the picture.

Craig R.

Cabinet resembles the "Zepher" models offered in earlier model-years.

Nice!

Wow.. nice find! That will sound good when you get it up and running.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

Most sites do list this as a Zephyr model of Zenith due to the grill and I really love these vertical radio/phono combinations. My usual complaint about these in the postwar ear is that they usually had smaller speakers to fit the phonograph in, but it seems Zenith decided to do the opposite in the prewar years. This thing is rather tall for a ten tube console radio of the time and the speaker is indeed a whopping 15 incher! It also appears to have a deep cone and large coils, so I am curious as to how this radio will sound once it is back in action. Size-wise, this radio is actually a bit larger than my Philco 38-116, which is a large console in itself. Definitely taller from what I can tell.

Does it still have the original power transformer? I see that this was one of those models with a stupid power supply design employing two 6X5s in parallel, stupid because they exceeded the design characteristics of the tube causing them to fail.
Regards
Arran

Power transformer looks original and seems healthy. Luckily, the original G style 6X5 tubes have long been replaced with the more stable GT types.

Looks like the phonograph is in great shape too. That's one thing I wish we had.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)