Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What is the best/easist

Stripier for removing polyurethane? I have been using BIX but wondering if there is something better. I know that poly is a bi**h to remove.
Tnx
Terry

Methylene Chloride stripper is the only stripper I know of that will touch poly, you may also try experimenting with acetone and keytone solvents.
Regards
Arran

I've used Klean-Strip (KS-3) before and it seemed to work pretty good. Never tried Bix so I can't compare..

I just stripped a RCA 96T1 that had poly brushed on it. I used a stripper called "5F5" made by Sterling
http://www.truevalue.com/product/5F5-Pai.../21096.uts
It required 4 or 5 applications and a bit of work with lacquer thineer/acetone mix to get it good and clean but it worked good to bubble up the old poly. Getting the melted up gooey mess off the wood is the hardest part.
BTW- you will want to use gloves and good ventilation. If this stuff gets on your skin, it will burn like the dickens. Trust me.

Tnx for the tips guys. I think I'll give that Sterling a try.
Terry

What worked best for me was to apply the stripper, allow it to bubble up for a minute or two, then gentle lift it off with a bondo spreader to get the worst of it. Then I would apply more stripper, then kind of work that off with a 3M pad wet with 50/50 lacquer thinner/acetone which did a pretty good job of getting the remainder.
Its messy, but it will get you to bare wood again.