Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Antenna help on a 41-265

Hi everyone! I'm new to the site, and also new to antique radios. We inherited a Philco 41-265 that was my great-grandparents and have had it electronically restored, and I restored the cabinet. I live in a small town in central IL and would like to be able to pick up WSM 650 AM out of Nashville, TN. When we first got the radio back from being restored, when it was just sitting in the kitchen to try it out, we could get it on a clear night. Now that we have re-arranged the living room for the radio to sit in a corner, we no longer can get it. I would like to run an antenna to it, and can get to the attic to run a long-wire antenna, but thought I'd get some input first. There are 4 antenna screws on the radio, with wires currently being connected to 2,3, and 4. What screws would I hook the antenna up to, and do I need a ground wire? It does bring in local stations, but between stations there is a lot of static and a constant loud hum. Thanks in advance, and any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hi Travis and welcome to the Phorum.
Well you will be surprised how well it will pick up stations with an antenna connected to it. A single wire will work OK general rule is as long and as high as you can get it. A sling shot can be a handy tool to get it high up into the trees if you have some. A good ground will help too. It will probably cut do on some of the noise you are hearing.As far as connections I'd pick the 1st screw on the left but it doesn't hurt to try others.
GL
Terry