Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My Philco 91X, no longer ignored.

I was bored this afternoon and finally decided to dig my 91X back out and at least play it a little. This radio was already recapped when I got it, but the bottom (woofer) speaker was a bit crippled from an old accident and major repairs to the cone. Basically, the old glue had caused the cone to warp over the years and it would buzz. The tweeter has some repairs too, but is in much better shape. Well, after playing it good and loud for about a half hour, the speakers seemed to come around and I ultimately enjoyed listening to the radio for two hours solid. The tone is rather good for this era of radio, especially with the tone set all the way counter-clockwise into the first position. So, it now is out and set up to be played more often instead of burried behind other radios. Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

The 91 is a good playing set! I had one years ago it was a chairside with a big old separate speaker cabinet. In the cabinet was the dual speakers like your set. At the time I wished that it had some SW coverage.
Terry

Jayce. Thats a neat looking set design. Glad to here the speaker started sounding better after playing awhile. How many tubes does that have?

The 91X has nine tubes and uses push-pull 42's on the output. The dual speakers do seem to make a difference on this set. Icon_thumbup

No matter where you go, there you are.

The dual speaker system was primative but agree the sound is very good!!

My model 14 LZX features the dual speakers, in fact it is playing now next to me as I type this. The 14 and 91 (early) are pretty much the same set.