Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Two more additions

Two more consoles joined the fold.

A couple of weeks ago I walked into to an Estate sale and the first thing I saw as I approached the front door was a Zenith 10S567. The original owner had passed away and his children were handling the sale. The radio had been in the family from the time it was purchased at a local department store (name tag affixed to the back of the radio). Finish is beautiful. One of the sons ran over to plug it in. I pleaded with him not to, however he went ahead and the radio was playing with a low 60 Hz hum.

I also picked up a GE L-916 in good shape. Owner wasn’t sure how long his parents owned it but remembered it being around for the last 30 years.

Looks like you got a couple of nice ones!!
Terry

That Zenith is beautiful! Usually the ones I find around here have badly flaking photo-finish in that model. That GE looks nice and I have on just like it, but the power transformer is fried. Still, if yours is the same it should have push-pull 6V6s and should sound good. Icon_thumbup

No matter where you go, there you are.

Jayce, I haven't had time to look at the extent of work on the GE chassis, but it does have the push pull 6V6s. I have 4 consoles that need to be recapped (38-116, Zenith 10S470, 10S567 and the GE L-916). I have them all set up with small 6.3 v supplies so that at night when the lamp circuits are turned on in the rooms they are located in the dial scales illuminate.

Icon_thumbupIcon_thumbupIcon_waveIcon_clap

Roy,

Color me green with envy. That Zenith is beautiful.

Why do people insist on plugging in and turning on these old sets? Luckily, no harm done. Good luck!
Jon

Jon

I am not sure why that is when it comes to plugging in an old radio. I had the same thing almost happen with a 10S470 (pictured) I picked up earlier in the year. At least that time the seller got the message.

Roy G