Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

91X vs 15X

I am a bit curious now that I have my 91X out and functioning again. I know that the 15X is an eleven tube set, but would the performance be any better than my 91X? Basically, would it be better enough to warrant me trying to track a 15X down? Since I am kinda stuck local until I figure an issue on my vehicle out, I figured I would do some research. Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

I think that the 15X has separate mixer and oscillator tubes, an extra IF amplifier, and an extra audio amp, the 91X is pretty much like a Philco 90, the dual #47 version, but with 6.3 volt tubes, I think that the 15 would be a better performer, at least on distant stations, and more selective.
Regards
Arran

+1, the 15 is a pretty good set!

That being said I would not turn down either one if they were offered to me at a reasonable price, as yet I do not own a Philco console with an inclined speaker board.
I don't know if Canadian Philco offered models in those types of cabinets, I have seen highboy and lowboy models from then of course, and chairsides. I haven't seen a Canadian Philco with a fully skirted cabinet older then 1934-35, and it was a 16X. Philco of Canada used to contract out their cabinet construction to outside firms so they may not have offered the full range given the smaller market and different tastes.
Regards
Arran

Hmm, sounds like it would be good to seek out a 15X then. With the way I tend to find uncommon Philco models in my region, that could be a realistic goal! Icon_thumbup

No matter where you go, there you are.

Jay, I found one in Snow Hill, North Carolina. Although you CAN find good sets in the South, the hunting is definitely better in the North East.

Yes, you could definitely find one up there!

I've had my 15X for many years and apart from replacing the filter caps it's never been worked on and it plays beautifully! One of my favorite Philcos. I aquired a 91X cabinet from an old collector a long time ago and want to make a complete radio with it. I found a restorable 91 chassis on Ebay for it recently. Still need to find the dual speakers for it though. hopefully one day I will be able to play them head to head and see which is the better setIcon_lol!
Kevin