Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Is 250 over priced ?

Other then the center pike at the top middle its all there .

Attached Files Image(s)

That looks like it has a model 70 chassis in it, so it's one of the more common examples apparently, it also has three of the wrong knobs. Is $250 too much? Well I would see if he would take $200 for it since it needs a finial reproduced and the knobs replaced. I don't know what these are going for restored but it doesn't seem like it's too far off the beam for the overall condition, how is the chassis in the back?.
Regards
Arran

I saw your Facebook discussion on this subject last night when I got home from Lexington/Louisville, where you were being advised not to pay over $125 or $150...

If the finish on the cabinet is as nice as it appears to be in the photos, I would have to respectfully disagree with the Facebookers and agree with Arran. $200 would not be out of line for that set - again, if it is as nice as it appears to be in the photos.

Plusses:
  • Nice original finish
  • Vivid color on clock face
  • Decent original grille cloth
  • Appears to be complete, with original copper Mershon electrolytics
Minuses:
  • Missing finial
  • Wrong knobs (except for the tuning knob)
Do the plusses outweigh the minuses? To me, they do...so I would not have a problem offering $200. Good luck!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I would defiantly offer him $200 for it and probably go as high as the asking price.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Unless you are planning to resell it for profit, then the opinions of others isn't really important. If you like the radio, have the money for it and are confident you'll never see another for sale... then you better buy it. When we leave this planet, the only thing we get to take along are memories, so make some good ones.

The artist formerly known as Puhpow! 8)

That's about what I paid for mine in the same looking shape.
If you do get it, there's a start knob for the clock on back. You may think the clocks bad if you don't spin it to get it started.

Tim

I agree with Ron and would like to know where these other guys are finding grandfather clock radios for under $150 (in decent condition).

That set is one of my favorite grandfather clock radios and it has remained "upstairs" via the wishes of my wife Icon_wink I like both the styling of the cabinet and the dial face. If the clock motor is original I wouldn't have a qualm going up to $250 for it... if as Ron says it looks as good as the pictures. Knobs will be no problem so the only issue is getting a finial made or finding an original.

Good luck!

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

I would defiantly offer him $200 for it and probably go as high as the asking price.

I agree with the pricing however Phlog I'm not certain I would "defiantly" bid on it. Perhaps definitely might be a better choice of words?Icon_lol No, I'm no where near a grammar Nazi, just funny when a word is misspelled for it's intended meaning and properly spelled for a different meaning.
PS: There goes my early Christmas present.

Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

These radios never did anything for me personaly. But if you like them then give the person an offer.

That is why I would "defiantly" bid on it. (spell check, of course who knows what I originally had there)

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

I have seen nice Philco Grandfather Clock sets go for well over 300.00....

The set is in nice shape, the finials can be made for it as have many others been made for these sets.