Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 38-116XX

A poor example of what could be a very fine set...with a LOT of work...

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/..._front.jpg]

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/ebay/38116_back.jpg]

In "The Latest Philco Save" thread, Frank wrote:

Quote:Ron,
What code is your 38-116? I just finished mine, and it was a code 121; the one with the older style RF deck with trimmers on the bottom. If you's is a code 121, could you see what type 'W' speaker it has? I'm still stumped why mine came with an output transformer that has a primary resistance that does not match the schematic while the code 125 transformer does match resistance wise.

Keep us posted on the progress. I think these are very interesting Philco consoles. A lot of them are around, they are a bit of a challenge to restore, but they are very good performers. Overall, they could be the bargain high end Philco for today's collector.

Frank, mine is a Code 125. I'll try to take a closer look at it later today. "49Stude63" is going to replicate a couple grille bars for me, but the real cabinet work won't take place until next spring since warm weather is ending today in my area.

I guess they could be considered bargains, depending on your definition of bargain...nice examples of 38-116 sets often bring $400 and up, mostly up. Most collectors realize what an excellent performer this model is, with the added benefit of High Fidelity sound.

EDIT: Paid a whopping $35 for the example above. It had no escutcheon, no dial scale, not even its Automatic Tuning mechanism. The original speaker connectors are gone, replaced with Molex connectors (!). Fortunately I have an extra Type W speaker with its original connector, and a junk chassis which will yield a mating connector. The cap that covers the rectifier tube socket is also missing. This will definitely be a major project, both cabinet and electronics.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

They are beautiful radios when done, mine was redone by a non-radio person and it looks ok but some might pick at it. It falls into the category, too nice looking to mess with or not bad enough to refinish. I replaced the grille cloth and dial and need to restore the chassis. Very stately radio, mine sits in my family room and my wife has claimed it as hers.

Mine is a code 125 as well. Until I got my 38-116XX a month or so ago, I hadn't realized there were two versions.

For such a high end radio, there seems to be quite a few of these and the 37-116 around. I'm not saying they're a common find, just that I've seen more of these compared to other 15-tube models from other manufacturers such as RCA or Zenith and it seems like if someone has a high end console in their collection it's either a 37-116 or 38-116.

I haven't started restoration of mine, but it looks like it won't be easy. I figure I'll probably do my 38-3 as a "workout" before moving on to the 38-116, as I've never restored a magnetic tuning model before.

Ron, you wouldn't happen to have any production figures for each type of 38-116 (the 121 and 125) would you?

Tom

Mine is also a code 125, so I guess for the ease of repairs the code 125 is easier from what I have picked up so far but maybe not as sensitive on the SW section as the code 121. Once my 38-2 is done I will swap it for the 38-116 and do the chassis on it, maybe if my wife does abuse me too badly do the cabinet also.