Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Replaced the capacitors but all I get is a hum

Ah... that would do it.

Yes, the speaker must be connected when taking voltages. The field coil is the large coil on the back of the speaker. It has a dual purpose: It serves as a magnet for the speaker and as a filter choke for the power supply. Without that in line, no voltage.

Yes Andrew, as Brenda indicated with the field coil open (disconnected) you will get no voltage anywhere but the rectifier. Need to have the speaker plugged in to give it a chance. The field coil is part of the speaker and the power supply.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

I recently purchased a 42-380 console at an auction. I replaced all the caps and had the same problem, just a low hum. I took the radio to a local repair person and he found that the output transformer under the chassis was open. We bought a new one and it corrected the problem. The radio works great now.

Charlie

Charlie

I find this story a little strange: if your output transformer is open you should not hear any hum whatsoever. Maybe you could hear the transformer buzz, but there is nothing to make the speaker hum.

Morzh, you still can get a hum because of the pulsating DC flowing through the field coil. The resultant varying magnetic field induces a voltage in the voice coil which causes it to move.

Same concept as an AC induction motor

And that's the reason for that hum-bucking coil that runs in series with the voice coil. Icon_smile

Maybe...if the winding of the transformer that is open is the primary one, yes.

I've never seen an open low-impedance secondary.

Andrew, I am quite curious how this turned out. Did you find the problem? I would really like to know where you got a "capacitor kit" for your radio. I have a model 70 I am working on, and am sure I will need to replace the caps also.

Tim

Welcome. Many times the low wattage carbon resistors have gone way out of spec, and a fistfull of replacements is only a couple of dollars. Do this and report back.